about monks..
Florian Liebig
2006-01-22 23:13:52 UTC
Hi guys.
Who knows more about playing monks ? All monks that I played had
problems wearing armor, except t-shirts. Does anyone know how monks can
handle dragon scales and still keep fighting as a grand master without
feeling coumbered ??

flo.
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-27 17:16:25 UTC
Try going for lighter armors instead. Robes and clothing-type armors
are what you should wear, because the heavier armors essentially
disable your monk's bonuses, like the way it does in Pen & Paper.
e***@hotmail.com
2006-01-27 18:20:18 UTC
Monks are my favorite character. I find that at low levels they are a
lot less vulnerable than other classes. Also, they can kick open
doors, meaning you don't need a pickaxe or skel key to get out of a
trap. So long as I wear only layers of clothing, the AC goes down
with no movement penalty. The only disadvantage is finding food, I
often have to eat corpses (which violates monk alignment) but this is a
small price to pay. The techniques are also awfully strong both for
offense and defense.

The Eternal Squire
Shawn Moore
2006-01-27 20:38:15 UTC
All monks that I played had problems wearing armor, except t-shirts.
Monks can wear all armor. They suffer penalties for wearing body armor
or a shield. For body armor, you suffer a -20 to-hit penalty and lose
both the ability to deal staggering blows and the intrinsic weaponless
to-hit bonus (which is 2 + xplev/3) For shields, you lose the ability
to deal staggering blows. The staggering blows are automatic. You might
have noticed sometimes when you hit a creature it's knocked back a
tile.

I refer you to the wonderful Monk FAQ:

http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/monk_faq.html
Does anyone know how monks can handle dragon scales and still keep fighting as a grand master without feeling coumbered ??
The best way is to max out your luck. Carry a noncursed luckstone and
sacrifice a lot or throw gems at coaligned unicorns. My first ascension
was a weaponless bodyarmor-wearing Monk. I had a difficult time of it.
:)
Try going for lighter armors instead. Robes and clothing-type armors
are what you should wear, because the heavier armors essentially
disable your monk's bonuses
Right; wearing any of the items on the following list is a huge malus
for a monk:

dragon scale mail, plate mail, crystal plate mail, bronze plate mail,
splint mail, banded mail, dwarvish mithril-coat, elven mithril-coat,
chain mail, orcish chain mail, scale mail, studded leather armor, ring
mail, orcish ring mail, leather jacket
Also, they can kick open doors, meaning you don't need a pickaxe or skel key to get out of a trap.
All roles can kick down doors. It's just monks have an easier time of
it because they are martial artists (and have a propensity for high
strength).
The techniques are also awfully strong both for offense and defense.
Techniques are in Slash'EM but not vanilla NetHack, so this doesn't
apply to you, Florian. :)

Shawn M Moore
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-28 00:34:33 UTC
The best equipment for a monk is probably defensive in nature.
Therefore, it is probably best to get a Cloak of Displacement or a
Cloak of Magic Resistance. The former is good in that monsters
randomly attack spaces next to you - giving you an advantage when it
comes down to countering ambushes or escaping. It also gives you some
extra time to deal with monsters. Magical resistance is important
though, because cancellation can really ruin your items, rendering you
very weak against your enemies.

Now, in the area of robes I think there are two enchanted ones: the
Robe of Power, and Robe of Protection. Most people dislike the former,
since it doesn't decrease spellcasting failiure enough to offset a
weaker defense. The Robe of Protection probably gives an especially
nice AC boost for an armour, so it should be looked into. For gloves,
the Gauntlets of Dexterity are a good match for monks, I hear. I have
only experience with Boots of Speed, so I have no idea how good a match
they are for a monk. Still, they make you move much quicker, so you
could act faster in a bad situation.
ManaUser
2006-01-28 00:43:31 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Now, in the area of robes I think there are two enchanted ones: the
Robe of Power, and Robe of Protection.
You're giving Slash'EM only advice again. :) There's only one type of
robe in Nethack.
My email address: Loading Image...
s***@gmail.com
2006-01-28 02:04:40 UTC
No, the first one offering Slash'EM advice is the The Eternal Squire.
Still, it is good to know a little more about the differences between
vanilla Nethack and Slash'EM, if only to be more helpful in the future.
Seraphim
2006-01-29 19:11:09 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
No, the first one offering Slash'EM advice is the The Eternal Squire.
Your first post seemed to be Slash'EM advice to me.
Post by s***@gmail.com
Try going for lighter armors instead. Robes and clothing-type armors
are what you should wear, because the heavier armors essentially
disable your monk's bonuses, like the way it does in Pen & Paper.
Robes arn't body armor in Nethack, they are cloaks. Suggesting robes as a
replacement for body armor doesn't make sense to me unless you're playing
Slash'EM. All body armor, including "clothing-type armors" will interfear
with a monk's bonuses.
zefciu
2006-02-12 16:07:35 UTC
Post by Seraphim
Slash'EM. All body armor, including "clothing-type armors" will interfear
with a monk's bonuses.
I think, that by clothing-type armor it was meant enchanted T-shirts, or
some sort of cloaks
zefciu
Iain D Broadfoot
2006-02-12 16:23:45 UTC
Post by zefciu
Post by Seraphim
Slash'EM. All body armor, including "clothing-type armors" will interfear
with a monk's bonuses.
I think, that by clothing-type armor it was meant enchanted T-shirts, or
some sort of cloaks
All armour that goes in the body slot interferes with the monk's
AC bonus, except robes. That means *mail and leather armour, but
shirts and cloaks are safe.

Robes _do_ interfere with Doppleganger's AC bonus though.

Also remember that shields interfer with monk's attacks.

iain
--
"If sharing a thing in no way diminishes it, it is not
rightly owned if it is not shared." -- St. Augustine