Cannot engrave with last wrested wand charge?
2018-05-31 15:09:24 UTC
I haven't experienced this before; it seems one cannot engrave with the last
wrested charge from a wand:

What do you want to write with? [- a-eim-orsvxzCEFIJNOQU-XZ or ?*]
You wrest one last charge from the worn-out wand.
The wand of lightning named IN USE glows violently, then turns to dust.
You are not going to get anywhere trying to write in the dust with your dust.

The pun is nice, though.

Janis
Phil McKraken
I've been playing since 1991. The Devteam thinks of everything.
twisty
Well that would really suck wresting the last charge from a /oW :(
Janis Papanagnou
2018-06-04 03:42:44 UTC
Post by twisty
Post by Janis Papanagnou
I haven't experienced this before; it seems one cannot engrave with
Well that would really suck wresting the last charge from a /oW :(
Since the WoW is an immediate (non-directed) wand I think you'll get
the wish. I seem to recall to have had an unidentified WoW where I
got my first wish regularily, and, since the wand had just one charge,
the second zap got the 1 in 120 (or so) chance to vapourize *after*
I had got the wish. (Not quite the same case, but probably comparable
WRT the effect.) In the zap case the recharge-option became void, but
a vapourizing (1:0) wand that provides a wish would of course be okay.

Janis
David Damerell
2018-06-04 20:04:44 UTC
Post by twisty
Well that would really suck wresting the last charge from a /oW :(
Since the WoW is an immediate (non-directed) wand I think you'll get
the wish.
You do - the floating wand wresting trick depends on it.
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Saturday, June - a weekend.
Tomorrow will be Sunday, June - a weekend.
twisty
Yep thats exactly what i meant. Thanks for clarifying
m***@gmail.com
2018-06-21 19:25:30 UTC
Can I just say that I don't understand why people engrave to get the last wish from a wand? #adjust your wand to the letter z. Then tap z, z over and over. That seems to be the fastest way.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-06-21 19:32:19 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Can I just say that I don't understand why people engrave to get the last
wish from a wand? #adjust your wand to the letter z. Then tap z, z over and
over. That seems to be the fastest way.
I've heard that if you do it while levitating you won't lose turns, which
would mean that you can do that even in tight situations.