YAAP Samurai 3.6.0
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-04 03:35:13 UTC
I finally ascended my 3.6.0 Samurai on NAO. I don't know why I took such
a long break. It looks like I started on 12/15/2015 and finished
7/3/2018. I kind of wanted to move on from 3.6.0 since 3.6.1 was out and
I got a bunch of early wishes so there was no reason not to finish.

Here are all of my ascensions by date and number of turns:

Barbarian 341930 1/30/2004
Wizard 167686 turns 3/19/2004
Knight 181975 turns 2/17/2005
Tourist 95512 turns 2/4/2006
Valkarie 47215 turns 4/12/2007
Priest 80548 turns 7/1/2007
Monk 52994 turns 11/18/2007
Ranger 82255 turns 1/19/2008
Archeologist 84972 turns 1/30/2011
Healer 86858 turns 12/24/2014
Samurai 72387 turns 7/3/2018

Unless I am mistaken I think I only have Rogue character class to go and
then I can say that I ascended every one. I think I will do Rogue on NAO
on 3.6.1.

I can't find my dump log for this game. Maybe it is because it is 3.6.0
and so old. But the ttyrec files for the end of the game are out there:

https://alt.org/nethack/userdata/b/bobbydurrett/ttyrec/

Pretty fun. Happy hacking everyone!

Bobby
Janis Papanagnou
2018-07-04 06:24:25 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
Barbarian 341930 1/30/2004
Wizard 167686 turns 3/19/2004
Knight 181975 turns 2/17/2005
Tourist 95512 turns 2/4/2006
Valkarie 47215 turns 4/12/2007
Priest 80548 turns 7/1/2007
Monk 52994 turns 11/18/2007
Ranger 82255 turns 1/19/2008
Archeologist 84972 turns 1/30/2011
Healer 86858 turns 12/24/2014
Samurai 72387 turns 7/3/2018
Unless I am mistaken I think I only have Rogue character class to go and then
I can say that I ascended every one. I think I will do Rogue on NAO on 3.6.1.
Caveman seems to be missing as well.

And congrats!

Janis
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-04 14:39:01 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
Barbarian 341930 1/30/2004
Wizard 167686 turns 3/19/2004
Knight 181975 turns 2/17/2005
Tourist 95512 turns 2/4/2006
Valkarie 47215 turns 4/12/2007
Priest 80548 turns 7/1/2007
Monk 52994 turns 11/18/2007
Ranger 82255 turns 1/19/2008
Archeologist 84972 turns 1/30/2011
Healer 86858 turns 12/24/2014
Samurai 72387 turns 7/3/2018
Unless I am mistaken I think I only have Rogue character class to go and then
I can say that I ascended every one. I think I will do Rogue on NAO on 3.6.1.
Caveman seems to be missing as well.
Yes! I keep forgetting Caveman. Couple more to go then. Not that there
is any hurry.

Bobby
Zork Ringmasters
2018-07-05 16:12:46 UTC
My trouble with the samurai is that it's not ergonomically pleasing. A short sword is a better weapon in close quarters, no?
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-04 14:56:07 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
I can't find my dump log for this game. Maybe it is because it is 3.6.0
I clicked on the dump log links for several people at the top of the
3.6.0 high score list and they were not there either. Maybe the site
admins are in the process of moving the logs to S3 from the vm's
filesystem. The links point to AWS S3 but when you click on them you get
a message that the key doesn't exist.

Bobby
jim in austin
2018-07-04 20:25:10 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
I can't find my dump log for this game. Maybe it is because it is 3.6.0
I clicked on the dump log links for several people at the top of the
3.6.0 high score list and they were not there either. Maybe the site
admins are in the process of moving the logs to S3 from the vm's
filesystem. The links point to AWS S3 but when you click on them you get
a message that the key doesn't exist.
The absence of 3.6.x dumplogs was a primary reason I migrated to hardfought
last year. That and the laggardly updates to the then 3.6.1-dev game...
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-04 20:57:08 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Bobby Durrett
I can't find my dump log for this game. Maybe it is because it is 3.6.0
I clicked on the dump log links for several people at the top of the
3.6.0 high score list and they were not there either. Maybe the site
admins are in the process of moving the logs to S3 from the vm's
filesystem. The links point to AWS S3 but when you click on them you get
a message that the key doesn't exist.
The absence of 3.6.x dumplogs was a primary reason I migrated to hardfought
last year. That and the laggardly updates to the then 3.6.1-dev game...
I did notice that the 3.6.1 dumplogs are there now. It is just the 3.6.0
ones that are missing. Maybe there was an issue with 3.6.0 that got
resolved in 3.6.1.

Bobby
Zork Ringmasters
2018-07-05 16:15:07 UTC
What is the matrix^H^H^H^H^H^HS3?
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-04 22:04:42 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
I finally ascended my 3.6.0 Samurai on NAO. I don't know why I took such
I can't find my dump log for this game. Maybe it is because it is 3.6.0
https://alt.org/nethack/userdata/b/bobbydurrett/ttyrec/
I hacked together a dump log using my ttyrec player. Here is a link:

https://www.bobbydurrettdba.com/nethack/samurai.zip

I took a screenshot of the ttyrec player at the end of the game and then
exported the last ttyrec file as a .txt file and edited out all of the
control characters. Yes, I am weird. But it has the relevant information.

Bobby
David Damerell
2018-07-05 15:13:02 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
https://www.bobbydurrettdba.com/nethack/samurai.zip
I took a screenshot of the ttyrec player at the end of the game and then
exported the last ttyrec file as a .txt file and edited out all of the
control characters. Yes, I am weird.
You are a bit - I'd just have cut and pasted.
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Second Tuesday, Presuary.
Tomorrow will be Second Wednesday, Presuary.
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-06 01:40:22 UTC
Post by David Damerell
Post by Bobby Durrett
https://www.bobbydurrettdba.com/nethack/samurai.zip
I took a screenshot of the ttyrec player at the end of the game and then
exported the last ttyrec file as a .txt file and edited out all of the
control characters. Yes, I am weird.
You are a bit - I'd just have cut and pasted.
If I knew that dumplog wasn't working I would have copy and pasted from
the game itself. I tried to do the same from my ttyrec player but alas
there doesn't seem to be a way. I could have tried other ttyrec players
but it wasn't that hard to edit the text file dump from the one I have.

Of course my wife was laughing at me. She asked me why I wanted to keep
the game dump now that the game was over. I didn't have a great reason.
:) It's just what I do. :)

Bobby
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-07-05 11:17:41 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
7/3/2018. I kind of wanted to move on from 3.6.0 since 3.6.1 was out
and I got a bunch of early wishes so there was no reason not to
finish.
Save files from 3.6.0 are compatible with 3.6.1 assuming the
compilation options are compatible.
When 3.6.1 was released, I had an unfinished game started with 3.6.0 and
finished (read: died in) that game with 3.6.1.
Jukka Lahtinen
Bobby Durrett
2018-07-06 01:42:05 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Post by Bobby Durrett
7/3/2018. I kind of wanted to move on from 3.6.0 since 3.6.1 was out
and I got a bunch of early wishes so there was no reason not to
finish.
Save files from 3.6.0 are compatible with 3.6.1 assuming the
compilation options are compatible.
When 3.6.1 was released, I had an unfinished game started with 3.6.0 and
finished (read: died in) that game with 3.6.1.
Well, it's ok. It was probably good to play a full game in 3.6.0. I had
to think about not waking up the wizard and I think that is fixed in
3.6.1 so it was probably my only chance to try that.

Bobby