Stoned unicorn status did not yield a unicorn horn
m***@gmail.com
2018-08-13 13:40:47 UTC
While in the final Sokoban level, I stoned all foes with a cockatrice corpse. I had no method of breaking the statue. So I went back to exploring the dungeon until I had a WoS with some charges on it. Upon return and a zap, all that was left was a pile of stones. I fully expected the unicorn horn to be in the debris. Was it a question of in game luck?
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-13 17:56:42 UTC
[...] all that was left was a pile of stones. I fully expected
the unicorn horn to be in the debris.
A stoned unicorn is made of stone, including its horn. You won't get
that horn by stoning the monster, since it's not an object embedded
in the statue. Kill it the conventional way next time.

Janis
jim in austin
2018-08-13 18:13:23 UTC
[...] all that was left was a pile of stones. I fully expected
the unicorn horn to be in the debris.
A stoned unicorn is made of stone, including its horn. You won't get
that horn by stoning the monster, since it's not an object embedded
in the statue. Kill it the conventional way next time.
Or the unconventional way: stone it, cast stone to flesh and then
kill it... =)
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-13 19:15:40 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Janis Papanagnou
[...] all that was left was a pile of stones. I fully expected
the unicorn horn to be in the debris.
A stoned unicorn is made of stone, including its horn. You won't get
that horn by stoning the monster, since it's not an object embedded
in the statue. Kill it the conventional way next time.
Or the unconventional way: stone it, cast stone to flesh and then
kill it... =)
I had this formulated in my first version of the post, though removed
it before posting. But it seems this indirect method has friends. ;-)

Janis
jim in austin
Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ...
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-14 06:38:05 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ...
Hehe. - Makes me think of introducing a fool class in Nethack.
Bad Int, Wis, Dex stats, but starts with extra luck. And owns,
of course, a dunce cap. That "Fool on the hill" might also be
stealthy and keep many monsters at distance.

Janis
jim in austin
2018-08-14 13:43:02 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ...
Hehe. - Makes me think of introducing a fool class in Nethack.
Bad Int, Wis, Dex stats, but starts with extra luck. And owns,
of course, a dunce cap. That "Fool on the hill" might also be
stealthy and keep many monsters at distance.
Brandishing a marotte, covered in bells and wielding cream pies.
Would definitely need to get speed and stealth...
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-14 17:25:57 UTC
[ fool class ]
Brandishing a marotte, covered in bells and wielding cream pies.
Oh, I like this cream pie as wielded weapon idea. :-)

Reminds me a game where I incidentally had a banana in my melee
weapon slot - I think to avoid using the Stormbringer I put the
artifact in another slot -, and I liked that banana as "weapon";
reminded me a Monty Python sketch.

Janis
Jorgen Grahn
2018-08-14 22:12:21 UTC
[ fool class ]
Brandishing a marotte, covered in bells and wielding cream pies.
Oh, I like this cream pie as wielded weapon idea. :-)
Reminds me a game where I incidentally had a banana in my melee
weapon slot - I think to avoid using the Stormbringer I put the
artifact in another slot -, and I liked that banana as "weapon";
reminded me a Monty Python sketch.
Speaking of Monty Python, are there any references to it in the game?

*grep*

Ok, there seems to be two: killer bunnies when hallucinating, and one
reference I don't get, related to dunce caps and, again,
hallucination.

I like the idea of coconuts instead of a steed ...

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
jim in austin
2018-08-15 01:36:30 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
I like the idea of coconuts instead of a steed ...
And #twoweaponing mackerels for fish slapping...