NetHack 3.4.3-hdf
Keith Simpson
2018-08-29 03:19:25 UTC
Hello all. Just a heads up - the version of NetHack 3.4.3-nao (the NAO build) on the Hardfought NetHack servers has now diverged slightly and is now 3.4.3-hdf (the Hardfought build).

Changes: E-word conduct tracking, auto open doors, dark room patch, and an updated/upgraded status when you check the version in-game (shows the latest git hash).

A more detailed look at what was changed can be viewed here - https://github.com/NHTangles/NetHack/commits/hardfought

Some of these 'quality of life' changes I've been wanting to implement for over a year now, but while NAO was still hosting 3.4.3, I wanted to make sure our copy running on hdf was inline with what NAO was running, mainly for tournament purposes (read: Junethack).

Now that NAO has dropped 3.4.3, I figured now was as good a time as any to start adding improvements to the game that players have wanted for a long time. Core game play is unaffected, and will stay that way. I may add a couple more bits to round out the QoL additions (thinking dungeon overview maybe?) but the intent is to keep as much of the 3.4.3 look/feel as possible while adding functions and features that many players have wanted to see, or could only get by playing on the 3.6.x branch.

To play - ssh ***@hardfought.org (US east coast), ***@eu.hardfought.org (London, UK) or ***@au.hardfought.org (Sydney, AU).

Questions/comments/concerns, feel free to ask or share. Thanks all.
jim in austin
2018-08-29 03:36:29 UTC
Post by Keith Simpson
[...]
Well done. I've been a patron since your 3.6.1-dev corrected the
"waking the wizard" bug in 3.6.0. Also happy to see your 3.6.1 is
actually a 3.6.2 beta. Although it can get a bit laggy at times, I
thoroughly have enjoyed my time on your site. Kudos...
Keith Simpson

jim in austin
2018-08-31 18:59:56 UTC
Post by Keith Simpson
Thanks Jim, appreciate the kind words. Concerning the lag - if it's
something persistent, let me know. hardware isn't an issue (hdf-us
is ridiculously overpowered) but we can certainly try and pin down
any network issues.
I should probably announce somewhere that we changed 3.6.1-hdf 'official'
to 3.6.2-hdf 'bleeding edge' a lil over a week ago ;)
The problem is probably on my end. Running hterm/secure_shell on Chrome OS
with a shared wifi on a crappy isp. What could possibly go wrong?
Keith Simpson
2018-09-03 15:00:57 UTC
Just added livelogging. Needs more livelog entries, but it's a start. You can see livelog events in #hardfought on freenode.net

I've had more than a couple requests for annotate/dungeon overview. Will probably implement that next, only thing is, it's save-breaking. That's a lot of extra work on my end to make sure older saves are valid. I'll get to it eventually.