A question about bows...
jim in austin
2018-03-27 18:31:12 UTC
I know that enchantment on a bow or crossbow adds to their to-hit
accuracy and adds nothing to projectile damage. But if you start bashing
with that bow, does enchantment add to its damage as with a normal weapon?
Additionally, does strength add to bow-bashing damage as well? A certain
ranger who doesn't want to bother with a training a separate weak melee
weapon wants to know...
jim in austin
Oh, and does skill add any damage to bow-bashing?
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-27 19:56:03 UTC
Post by jim in austin
I know that enchantment on a bow or crossbow adds to their to-hit
accuracy and adds nothing to projectile damage. But if you start bashing
with that bow, does enchantment add to its damage as with a normal weapon?
Additionally, does strength add to bow-bashing damage as well?
Frankly, I don't know, so better skip this paragraph and wait for a more
sophisticated reply. :-)
(For NH-343 I would have expected that you get normal melee damage and
strength bonus added. ISTR to have heared that in NH-36x strength bonus
has been adjusted, but that may be for (crossbow-?)projectiles only? -
Still reading? You really should have skipped this! ;-)
Post by jim in austin
A certain
ranger who doesn't want to bother with a training a separate weak melee
weapon wants to know...
With rangers I focus on ranged weapons, initially bow/crossbow, and after
collecting daggers (e.g. from the mines) I train them in parallel. With
the first altar I camp for an effective melee atifact. Where it makes
sense you can also use your dagger as melee weapon to train dagger skill
(ranged bow/crossbow still applied for the tougher monsters), and which
makes it possible to multi-fire the daggers that you collect in the mines.

Janis
jim in austin
2018-03-27 20:10:45 UTC
With rangers I focus on ranged weapons, initially bow/crossbow, and after
collecting daggers (e.g. from the mines) I train them in parallel. With
the first altar I camp for an effective melee atifact. Where it makes
sense you can also use your dagger as melee weapon to train dagger skill
(ranged bow/crossbow still applied for the tougher monsters), and which
makes it possible to multi-fire the daggers that you collect in the mines.
In 3.6 rangers get a +1 role multishot bonus in every ranged weapon EXCEPT
daggers. Given that and the weight, darts with high strength are probably
a better thrown choice...
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-27 21:18:53 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Janis Papanagnou
With rangers I focus on ranged weapons, initially bow/crossbow, and after
collecting daggers (e.g. from the mines) I train them in parallel. With
the first altar I camp for an effective melee atifact. Where it makes
sense you can also use your dagger as melee weapon to train dagger skill
(ranged bow/crossbow still applied for the tougher monsters), and which
makes it possible to multi-fire the daggers that you collect in the mines.
In 3.6 rangers get a +1 role multishot bonus in every ranged weapon EXCEPT
daggers. Given that and the weight, darts with high strength are probably
a better thrown choice...
Personally I want a permanent-missile source, and daggers is the way to
go (in 36x maybe also knifes?). The problem I observe I actually have is
that the initial +2 missiles alone will vanish at some point when and I
may not yet have got an artifact, so I want some permanent replacement;
and daggers are common and (as said) can be trained from the beginning.
(Yes, I'm aware of arrow traps to refill your quiver, but I rarely use
the +0 projectiles anyway.) I also collect darts, but only as throw-away
missiles, e.g. for sea creatures. (Tourists are an exception, since they
also start with +2 enchanted ones; these I consider also as a temporary
weapon to survive early game until some more appropriate melee weapon
can be obtained, and there are many choices for that class.)

Janis
Zork Ringmasters
2018-03-30 17:05:29 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Janis Papanagnou
[...]
Darts and arrows can be obtained from #untrapped dart traps and arrow traps. Finally, if you want an unlimited soume, look into the sling and rocks/flint.

Yen the Strawberry Manager
Yosemite Sam
2018-03-30 20:10:49 UTC
Just write some genocide scrills to summon kobold hordes orkhead.