YASD - Valk
Shaft
2018-09-21 22:23:45 UTC
I took a break from Nethack for a while, as I occasionally rage quit after something just like this. I have not played since 3.6.x, so I have been playing for a few weeks now, ascending a Wizard after a few frustrating incarnations, one of which had a run in with an orc with a fire wand in the new orc town.

I was trying a neutral Valk, as I like the artifact choices for neutral better. Got two magic lamps, one of which granted a wish for GDSM. The other was hostile. Two out of the four lamps across all characters have been hostile even though the lamp was blessed.

I was pretty lucky in regards to shops and gear, nabbing speed boots, reflection from Soko, the luckstone, and a cloak of protection. I did not even find a sack until Medusa though. I just made some stashes and later combined them on level 17.

Had difficulty finding a way across Medusa and not enough XP for the quest, so I dug down and then back up to get Medusa and that bag. Went ahead and did the castle as well to get more gear and wishes, which I stashed for later (0:2). Ate wraiths in the valley, then did the quest.

I wished for a poly wand and later a BoH. Of course I found a BoH on the level below the valley next to the stairs later.... I polied scrolls and potions and got lots of genocide scrolls and other useful things. Burned a wish on charging scrolls though. Already had two markers and found more later on.

At this point I was at -43 AC, foo proof because I was crowned the first time I prayed in this game(water prayer), and had my gear ready for ascension. Alchemy gave me over 300 HP. Just a matter of mapping out the last levels. I genocided L, h, m, R, and was saving ; for later.

I mapped out and cleared Vlad's tower and was working my way to the end. Decided to detour into the wizard tower to pre-clear the riff-raff. For weapons I was using +6 Sunsword(random drop from a giant), +7 silver saber, and backup +5 Mojo. First monster in the tower zoo was a cockatrice. I always get nervous and kill them first. It left a corpse, so my next fear was something with gloves picking it up. I quickly picked it up and decided to clear out the zoo with it. Was about 2/3rds done and fell into a spiked pit. DYWYPI?

Was not aware the the zoo had pits in it. I'm guessing it is recommended to float while wielding a C? I may take another break.
Lunar Opticfibre
2018-09-22 00:13:14 UTC
Post by Shaft
[...]
They are like a tool with specifications. Not to fall down stairs or
into a pit for this one. I had a shop keeper in minetown angry at me
over getting hit by an exploding sphere and then next door I fought a
cockatrice so I picked it up and swung it at the shopkeeper.

Maybe you would do best not to walk into new territory if you don't have
levitation. Even then if you haven't walked over every tile, you could
uncover an unlucky pit.
Shaft
2018-09-22 00:33:31 UTC
Yeah, I definitely had levitation. I turned it off to grab the C corpse. It sounds like I either need to float when carrying one or just genocide them and be done with it. I could have easily cleared them all without the corpse. Just thought it would be faster.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-22 07:08:00 UTC
Post by Shaft
always get nervous and kill them first. It left a corpse, so my next fear
was something with gloves picking it up. I quickly picked it up and
decided to clear out the zoo with it. Was about 2/3rds done and fell into
a spiked pit. DYWYPI?
Was not aware the the zoo had pits in it. I'm guessing it is recommended
to float while wielding a C? I may take another break.
Yes, the zoo is not excepted from traps, including pits, as you experienced
the hard way, sadly. Levitating while wielding such a corpse is indeed the
standard procedure. There's yet more things to be aware of in this instance,
like a cockatrice that is generated on top of an (undetected) pit; in this
case even moving onto that square to pick it up can be deadly if you fall
into the pit.[*] A foocubus that removes your gloves (or a nymph that steal
them) is also deadly.[*] If your means of levitation is removed you may
again fall into a trap existing on that square. The same with disintegrated
armor. And your fear about gloved monsters is of course also an issue.[*]

I wouldn't (as you pondered about in your other post) genocide them, though;
they are very valuable in cases of tough monsters, specifically the Wizard
where you can save charges of your wand of death if you have a fresh corpse,
so I usually let them alive. (One of my tactics[**] is to levelport from the
lower to the upper Wizard tower level and avoiding the zoo. If I see a 'c'
there in the zoo I come back just before I meet the Wizard for the chance to
get the corpse and use it against the Wizard.)

Janis

[*] Been there.

[**] Not sure if it's still possible in NH-36x.
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-09-22 11:25:47 UTC
Post by Shaft
Was not aware the the zoo had pits in it. I'm guessing it is
recommended to float while wielding a C? I may take another break.
ITYM "wielding a c" because it makes no sense to wield a C.
Anyway, just unwield it before moving in unknown territory. Only wield
it when you actually mean to attack something with it.
Jukka Lahtinen
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-22 11:47:42 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Post by Shaft
Was not aware the the zoo had pits in it. I'm guessing it is
recommended to float while wielding a C? I may take another break.
ITYM "wielding a c" because it makes no sense to wield a C.
Both would be tricky, I'd say; I am wielding a % in that case. ;-)

(Thinking about wielding a living monster that shrieks and wakes up
other nearby monsters - could be funny.)

Janis
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-09-22 15:40:23 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Post by Shaft
Was not aware the the zoo had pits in it. I'm guessing it is
recommended to float while wielding a C? I may take another break.
ITYM "wielding a c" because it makes no sense to wield a C.
Both would be tricky, I'd say; I am wielding a % in that case. ;-)
Actually, yes.
But the % was a c before..
Jukka Lahtinen
Shaft
2018-09-24 20:37:55 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
ITYM "wielding a c" because it makes no sense to wield a C.
Even after playing this game for 15+ years, I still don't always get the monster classes correct. I have played windows tiled mode since 3.4.3. Still I should know them since they are used for genociding. I rarely genocide cockatrices.

My only experience with non-tiled was a single game I played on NAO a few years ago, just to say I did it. I was in my prime and ascended a Valk or Barb I think. Still, probably wouldn't go back.
Jorgen Grahn
2018-09-22 14:32:00 UTC
Post by Shaft
I took a break from Nethack for a while, as I occasionally rage quit
after something just like this. I have not played since 3.6.x, so I
have been playing for a few weeks now,
What does "since 3.6.x" mean -- since 3.6.0 was released? That was
years ago.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Shaft
2018-09-24 20:33:42 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
What does "since 3.6.x" mean -- since 3.6.0 was released? That was
years ago.
Wow. Did not realize how far back that was. I must have been playing 3.4.3 for a year or so after 3.6 came out.