Stories of the Random
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-04 22:01:59 UTC
I was looking back through some of the old threads, and I couldn't find any that were dedicated to community stories of the most random and unusual things that have happened. So unless someone wants to reply pointing me to such a directory, I say we start one here! So let's hear from everyone the most odd and unusual ways that the RNG has ruined or galvanized, or just generally confused the fuck out of you.
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-04 22:07:38 UTC
So my first story to share is the time I had a Samurai go to Astral, without ever finding an alter outside of the scripted ones. He died to a Vorpal Blade (just dumb, I had spare wishes and was aware of Vorpal, ignorance no excuse).
When I started my next character (another Samurai) I found 3 alters, one of each alignment and a Wand of Wishing. Then died in a spiked pit not 10 minutes later.
Sometimes Nethack is a 2-headed bitch goddess.
Stefan Ram
2018-05-04 23:25:02 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
I was looking back through some of the old threads, and I
couldn't find any that were dedicated to community stories of
the most random and unusual things that have happened.
I read that, in theory, on can die immediately with 0 moves
when autopickup is on and one is created on top of an
artifact of a different alignment or something like this.
Then I read that someone has programmed a script and after
several million starts of the game was able to observe this.

(I recently had a samurai with a blessed greased +2 weapon
and AC below 0 on DLVL 4. Then a trapdoor opened to DLVL 9
and just about 10 moves after this, a level teleporter trap
ported the player to DLVL 11. Moving up, DLVL 10 was a plane
where the player was sorrounded by monsters, and an attempt
to write the E word using fingers failed. That was sheer
panic. Should have use the /wand of fire/ to engrave the E
word! But still, my capabilities were adapted well for DLVL 4,
but not for 10. So even if I would have managed to restore
all HPs on the E word, moving away from that tile should be
difficult. The wand would be empty after some steps and the
staircase to DLVL 9 was about 20 moves away.)
David Damerell
2018-05-05 11:46:49 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
I was looking back through some of the old threads, and I
couldn't find any that were dedicated to community stories of
the most random and unusual things that have happened.
I read that, in theory, on can die immediately with 0 moves
when autopickup is on and one is created on top of an
artifact of a different alignment or something like this.
You can. Don't autopickup weapons (you generally don't want them anyway,
and while you don't get the funny message, this can kill you for quite a
lot of the game after turn 0...)
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Thursday, May.
Tomorrow will be First Friday, May.
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-06 00:46:41 UTC
That can happen by, like you said, having auto_pickup all on and starting on an artifact (doesn't matter the alignment, you'll still get blasted), or by being a knight and attempting to #ride on the first turn. Failing a #ride attempt results in 1d20 damage, giving a level 1 knight a 20% chance to die on turn 1. Otherwise, all other deaths take till at least turn 2 to die. I think. :P
Janis Papanagnou
2018-05-06 07:43:03 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
That can happen by, like you said, having auto_pickup all on and starting
on an artifact (doesn't matter the alignment, you'll still get blasted), [...]
Is that true?

Janis
Aimbot
2018-05-07 07:39:44 UTC
Zap your wizard's starting wand of fire at the nearest wall...
David Damerell
2018-05-12 02:32:04 UTC
Quoting Gyprock Gypsy <***@hotmail.com>:
[Please remember to quote some text for context.]
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
That can happen by, like you said, having auto_pickup all on and
starting on an artifact (doesn't matter the alignment, you'll still get
blasted)
I'm not sure why you think that is the case. There are one or two cases
where a coaligned artifact can blast you, but they would be difficult to
produce on turn 0, except perhaps an orc might be able to start on
Orcrist?
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
or by being a knight and attempting to #ride on the first turn.
That's a turn 1 death, quite different from the turn 0 death to
autopickup. You don't get the funny message, even.
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
If we aren't perfectly synchronised this corncob will explode!
Tomorrow will be Second Friday, May.
David Damerell
2018-05-12 02:34:39 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
I read that, in theory, on can die immediately with 0 moves
when autopickup is on and one is created on top of an
artifact of a different alignment or something like this.
Then I read that someone has programmed a script and after
several million starts of the game was able to observe this.
shows it - not done with
automated startscumming. (Presumably done by manipulation of initial RNG
state?)
Phil McKraken
That's wild!
Pat Rankin
2018-05-13 00:13:57 UTC
(Presumably done by manipulation of initial RNG state?)
It went by too fast for me to see what was going on, and I'm not interested
enough to try harder. The final score indicates that it was played in normal
mode, but it could have been loading a bones file created in wizard mode.
That would be trivial to create (the restriction against leaving bones in first
couple of levels doesn't apply in wizard mode) and you'd only need to try
a few times to get the 1/3 chance of having a bones file for the new level
(in this case, level 1) be used instead of creating the level from scratch.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-05-05 03:50:52 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
I was looking back through some of the old threads, and I couldn't find any
that were dedicated to community stories of the most random and unusual
things that have happened. So unless someone wants to reply pointing me to
such a directory, I say we start one here! So let's hear from everyone the
most odd and unusual ways that the RNG has ruined or galvanized, or just
generally confused the fuck out of you.
Well, there had been (and in the past decade I posted) a lot about unusual
(mostly negative) random events and coincidences. The most prominent one I
recall was actually a positive one, though; a game where I found two wands
of wishing _in a single chest_ in the Valley (i.e. just one level beneath
the Castle with he guaranteed wand of wishing).[*] (Not that these wishes
had in any way changed that already advanced game.)

Janis

[*] The double wish on a throne in my current game - throne wishes are very
unusual for me - is just a pale picture compared to that exceptional finding.
Harold Hill
2018-05-07 14:04:43 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
I was looking back through some of the old threads, and I couldn't find any that were dedicated to community stories of the most random and unusual things that have happened. So unless someone wants to reply pointing me to such a directory, I say we start one here! So let's hear from everyone the most odd and unusual ways that the RNG has ruined or galvanized, or just generally confused the fuck out of you.
I once killed a Master Mind Flayer only to find that it had been carrying a tin of French Fried Master Mind Flayer. Eww. (Yeah, OK, it could have been a death drop and wasn't actually in the inventory of the MMF before I killed it.)
-Harold Hill
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-07 19:55:15 UTC
Yes, co-aligned intelligent Artifact weapons will still blast you, and will simply resist your grasp if cross-aligned.

Just had an I interesting experience. Had one character ExpLvl 13, Dlvl 22 who did not find a single bones file. He died, and my next character got to Mine Town to find not just 1 or 2, but 4 bones in one file, and Mine Town in an absolute state of destruction as almost all the walls had been mined out. Shout out to city, chubby, verge, and Hecht.
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-07 20:20:58 UTC
Just found all 3 alter alignments in 1 room. O_o
Stefan Ram
2018-05-07 20:54:36 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Mine Town in an absolute state of destruction as almost all
the walls had been mined out.
Just today I was thinking about this:

It is a kind of strange coincidence that when you go to
Mine Town, often most of the walls are intact, and then you
observe them being destroyed as if the whole Mine Town has
just been waiting for you before starting to mine!

This makes me wonder if we live in a simulation.
Jorgen Grahn
2018-05-07 21:25:36 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Yes, co-aligned intelligent Artifact weapons will still blast you,
and will simply resist your grasp if cross-aligned.
Nice to see someone posting! Some hints about posting style though:

- If you're replying to some other posting, please quote the relevant
parts (like I did).

In this case the reply was, technically, to another posting of
yours, but it didn't mention artifact blasts, so I wonder if you
were really reacting to a posting of Stefan Ram's elsewhere.

- Break paragraphs into lines roughly 70 characters wide.

- If you're writing about a variant (like you did in another posting)
it's helpful to mention it in the subject line.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-08 01:18:57 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Yes, co-aligned intelligent Artifact weapons will still blast you,
and will simply resist your grasp if cross-aligned.
- If you're replying to some other posting, please quote the relevant
parts (like I did).
In this case the reply was, technically, to another posting of
yours, but it didn't mention artifact blasts, so I wonder if you
were really reacting to a posting of Stefan Ram's elsewhere.
- Break paragraphs into lines roughly 70 characters wide.
- If you're writing about a variant (like you did in another posting)
it's helpful to mention it in the subject line.
/Jorgen
--
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Sorry for the bad etiquette, I was posting from my phone before, and it
makes it looks like your like your lines are being broken up already. Also,
the touch screen adds an obvious barrier to ones ability to copy and paste.
Post by Jorgen Grahn
I have to note that you haven't said anything about intelligent artifacts in
your previous post. If your alignment record is not bad I'd think a coaligned
artifact (intelligent or not) will not blast you. An intelligent non-coaligned
artifact will blast you (independent of your alignment record). And we've been
talking about turn 0, so I don't see how you'd have a bad alignment record.
No?
Janis
[*] Please always post context and attribution! (This is Usenet after all.)
You had me second guessing if it as possible or not, so I went into Wizard
mode, wished for the Sunsword (cross-aligned to my and Hum-Wiz-Neu and a
weapon that can be randomly generated), and sure enough, I got blast damage.
Now, after looking at the wiki, it would appear that only the weakest classes
would be vulnerable to this, as the blast damage for an unintelligent artifact
is only 4d4 for 16 max damage. Bout the same chance to die as for a knight falling off your horse on turn 1.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-05-08 06:18:05 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Post by Janis Papanagnou
I have to note that you haven't said anything about intelligent artifacts in
your previous post. If your alignment record is not bad I'd think a coaligned
artifact (intelligent or not) will not blast you. An intelligent non-coaligned
artifact will blast you (independent of your alignment record). And we've been
talking about turn 0, so I don't see how you'd have a bad alignment record.
No?
You had me second guessing if it as possible or not, so I went into Wizard
mode, wished for the Sunsword (cross-aligned to my and Hum-Wiz-Neu and a
weapon that can be randomly generated), and sure enough, I got blast damage.
Yes, non-coaligned is one of the blast-conditions.
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Now, after looking at the wiki, it would appear that only the weakest classes
would be vulnerable to this, as the blast damage for an unintelligent artifact
is only 4d4 for 16 max damage.
Yes, that's what I also remember; that an intelligent artifact will make more
damage. And that initially weak (or impaired) players may instantly die.
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Bout the same chance to die as for a knight falling off your horse on turn 1.
Luckily this can be avoided by not trying to mount the steed.