Liches are stalking me
i***@gmail.com
2018-03-16 23:14:35 UTC
I've been instamurdered by liches in semi-impossible ways two games in a row. This is getting weird.

Game 1: I've just cleared Medusa. I'm on the level above, M- moving back up, and in the middle of my move an archlich appears, uses touch of death, and offs me before I can act in any way.

Oh well. I had tried hard to get MR and failed, them's the breaks. No way an archlich should generate there, but... maybe a chameleon? Pretty brutal.

Game 2: I'm finishing Sokoban. Everything is fine. I've hit the zoo, and I just backed away to heal a little. There's a chameleon down in the zoo area, but that's far away down the hall; I don't think much of it.

I hit 's' two or three times to rest / wait for an enemy to come around. The chameleon turns into a master lich, teleports to me, and murders my poor level 10 ranger with one touch. Because it turns out they ignore the no-teleport in Sokoban.

Did I anger the RNG or something, guys? I feel like every play is just gonna end in premature lich assassination now and there's nothing I can do.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-17 07:10:07 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
I've been instamurdered by liches in semi-impossible ways two games in a
row. This is getting weird.
You're not alone. :-)
Post by i***@gmail.com
Game 1: I've just cleared Medusa. I'm on the level above, M- moving back
up, and in the middle of my move an archlich appears, uses touch of death,
and offs me before I can act in any way.
Two months ago I posted about a similar event "Instant-death - not even a
message?".
Post by i***@gmail.com
Oh well. I had tried hard to get MR and failed, them's the breaks. No way
an archlich should generate there, but... maybe a chameleon? Pretty
brutal.
Once one is at the Castle MR should be wished for. But yes, sometimes you
don't find a source getting it, and in coincidence with other effects one
may die.

But it also depends on the role; some roles may consider doing the quest
for a MR granting artifact. Or look for Fort Ludios where you find dragons,
and one may be gray. The healer entry level has also dragons that may fit.
In case you identify the scroll of genocide you have a couple options; you
can just genocide all 'L' or reverse genocide gray dragons (if you are able
to handle them) to get theit MR-granting scales. A throne room may have 'D'
inhabitants. Thrones or fountains may provide the necessary wish.
Post by i***@gmail.com
Game 2: I'm finishing Sokoban. Everything is fine. I've hit the zoo, and I
just backed away to heal a little. There's a chameleon down in the zoo
area, but that's far away down the hall; I don't think much of it.
I hit 's' two or three times to rest / wait for an enemy to come around.
The chameleon turns into a master lich, teleports to me, and murders my
poor level 10 ranger with one touch. Because it turns out they ignore the
no-teleport in Sokoban.
If I find a chape changer I try to immediately handle it because of their
dangerous morphings.
Post by i***@gmail.com
Did I anger the RNG or something, guys? I feel like every play is just
gonna end in premature lich assassination now and there's nothing I can do.
Some games are just cursed. I think we all can enumerate such cruelties.
Just start another game; you may find two wands of wishing the in entry
room this time. ;-)

Janis
jim in austin
2018-03-17 13:50:42 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
I've been instamurdered by liches in semi-impossible ways two games in a
row. This is getting weird.
You're not alone. :-)
Just yesterday an Arch Lich appeared next to me in Sokoban and vaporized
my Monk's gauntlets of power before I killed it. A damn doppelganger from
the Zoo...
i***@gmail.com
2018-03-19 02:37:33 UTC
And new I've had a couple of quick stupid death games, and in the next one that's going well, I've gotten up to level 2 of Sokoban and there's another chameleon. It'll take hundreds of moves to clear the level and get to it, and I'm sure it'll be another lich situation. So just saving Sokoban for much later, I guess...
Benjamin A. Schmit
2018-03-19 12:30:28 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
And new I've had a couple of quick stupid death games, and in the next one that's going well, I've gotten up to level 2 of Sokoban and there's another chameleon. It'll take hundreds of moves to clear the level and get to it, and I'm sure it'll be another lich situation. So just saving Sokoban for much later, I guess...
You might try to go for the often-ignored ring of protection from shape
changers at that stage — MR really shouldn't be necessary for Sokoban…

Benjamin
--
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires.
Seek discipline and find your liberty.