Just played my first game of Nethack
kittyfriend
2018-03-22 06:54:56 UTC
I do play other Roguelike games but somehow managed to never get around
to Nethack until now. I managed to get to the beginning of the second
level of the dungeon when I managed to go blind and I think kill my poor
little dog like an awful person - so I quit.

I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible
about myself within the first few minutes of play!

*---------------------
* Friend to felines! -
*---------------------
Jorgen Grahn
2018-03-22 07:12:53 UTC
Post by kittyfriend
I do play other Roguelike games but somehow managed to never get around
to Nethack until now. I managed to get to the beginning of the second
level of the dungeon when I managed to go blind and I think kill my poor
little dog like an awful person - so I quit.
I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible
about myself within the first few minutes of play!
Nethack can do that, yes. I hope you'll try again.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
kittyfriend
2018-03-22 07:25:27 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Post by kittyfriend
I do play other Roguelike games but somehow managed to never get around
to Nethack until now. I managed to get to the beginning of the second
level of the dungeon when I managed to go blind and I think kill my poor
little dog like an awful person - so I quit.
I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible
about myself within the first few minutes of play!
Nethack can do that, yes. I hope you'll try again.
/Jorgen
Oh, of course I will. I just think it's funny, I've heard rumors of
Nethack being "mean" to the player compared to some other games, but I
didn't expect my first play to actually start with me accidentally
*murdering my dog* :-P

*---------------------
* Friend to felines! -
*---------------------
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-03-22 17:31:48 UTC
Post by kittyfriend
Oh, of course I will. I just think it's funny, I've heard rumors of
Nethack being "mean" to the player compared to some other games, but I
didn't expect my first play to actually start with me accidentally
*murdering my dog* :-P
If it is accidental, the law considers it killing, not murder, and the
sentence will not be as hard as if it were a premeditated murder..
(At least here)
Jukka Lahtinen
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-22 18:37:50 UTC
I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible about
myself within the first few minutes of play!
LOL! - Yep, you've got to experience the unique feeling without delay. :-)
Nethack's messages are terse and sharp to the point. Every nuance matters.

As a general hint; if something unexpected happens, slow down, be careful.

Happy hacking!
Janis
twisty
2018-03-24 18:24:23 UTC
Post by kittyfriend
I do play other Roguelike games but somehow managed to never get around
to Nethack until now. I managed to get to the beginning of the second
level of the dungeon when I managed to go blind and I think kill my poor
little dog like an awful person - so I quit.
I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible
about myself within the first few minutes of play!
*---------------------
* Friend to felines! -
*---------------------
Nethack does have a very sick sense of humor, my personal opinion. Nothing
worse then seeing your poor pet dying, especially at your own hands.
Hopefully you won't experience the 1st or 2nd turn where your pet gets
squished by the falling rock trap.

Happy Hacking!
Phil McKraken
It gets worse. Instead of losing a kitten on level 2, imagine losing a black dragon at the bottom of Gehennom.
twisty
2018-03-25 23:34:14 UTC
Post by Phil McKraken
Post by kittyfriend
I do play other Roguelike games but somehow managed to never get
around to Nethack until now. I managed to get to the beginning of the
second level of the dungeon when I managed to go blind and I think
kill my poor little dog like an awful person - so I quit.
I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible
about myself within the first few minutes of play!
*---------------------
* Friend to felines! -
*---------------------
It gets worse. Instead of losing a kitten on level 2, imagine losing a
black dragon at the bottom of Gehennom.
Or imagine your big nasty poly'd pet going feral on your a$$. Level
Teleport and finding them later can come back to bite you.
Yosemite Sam
2018-03-26 14:02:14 UTC
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-04-06 01:11:48 UTC
Post by kittyfriend
I do play other Roguelike games but somehow managed to never get around
to Nethack until now. I managed to get to the beginning of the second
level of the dungeon when I managed to go blind and I think kill my poor
little dog like an awful person - so I quit.
I'll play later but no other game has ever made me feel so horrible
about myself within the first few minutes of play!
* Friend to felines! -
Just wait. It get's better. Like life. Meaning that it only really gets harder.

*Duke triggers a trap*
*Duke is hit by a rock!*
*You have a sad feeling for a moment, then it passes*
*Fall into a spiked pit! The spikes are poisoned! The poison is fatal!*
*DYWYPI?*