Pet 'Attack' messages
Add Reply
s***@gmail.com
2018-09-13 12:58:08 UTC
Every time my pet attacks/gets attacked I get a "MORE" message... how to suppress them? Ideally, I would still like to get the message... just not having to 'MORE' through them??
Kurt M. Weber
2018-09-17 05:09:07 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Every time my pet attacks/gets attacked I get a "MORE" message... how to
suppress them? Ideally, I would still like to get the message... just not
having to 'MORE' through them??
This patch may be useful, though I don't know if it's been updated for 3.6+:

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/MSGTYPE
Kurt Weber
Pat Rankin
2018-09-18 22:58:13 UTC
Post by Kurt M. Weber
Post by s***@gmail.com
Every time my pet attacks/gets attacked I get a "MORE" message... how to
suppress them? Ideally, I would still like to get the message... just not
having to 'MORE' through them??
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/MSGTYPE
That patch is no longer needed; MSGTYPE is part of nethack 3.6.x.
MSGTYPE could be used to suppress the offending messages
outright, but not to achieve the goal of displaying them without
--More--.

The --More-- prompt is used when nethack is in the process of
issuing a new message and you have not entered any input since
the last message, as a way to make sure that you've had a chance
to read that last message before the new one replaces it. There's
no way to disable that.

If you answer ESC to the --More-- prompt, all further messages
are suppressed until it's time to give your next input. It's possible
to use MSGTYPE to make particular messages override ESC and
resume being issued, but in general, you probably shouldn't get
into the habit of hitting ESC to skip messages because you'll
inevitably miss something important.

Turning the 'verbose' option off will reduce the messages by quite
a bit, omitting some and supplying less detail in others. It's from
the days when players connected via slow modems and needed
less interaction to keep the game playable, but it can still be used.
It has become somewhat inconsistent though, since incorporating
new feedback into the game sometimes--or often--fails to take it
into consideration and verbosity has steadily increased even for
the 'noverbose' setting.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-19 16:20:10 UTC
Post by Pat Rankin
If you answer ESC to the --More-- prompt, all further messages
are suppressed until it's time to give your next input. It's possible
to use MSGTYPE to make particular messages override ESC and
resume being issued, but in general, you probably shouldn't get
into the habit of hitting ESC to skip messages because you'll
inevitably miss something important.
Not sure if it had been a NAO feature, but I regularly hit Esc in
case of expected message spam, and then used ^P (Ctrl-P) to see all
messages together for anything interesting that may have happened.
With a sufficient large number-of-lines setting (mine is two screen
pages, msghistory:50 lines) I rarely missed anything and it's much
easier to read all on "one" page rather than line by line.

Other tools or programs use repetition counts for identical message
lines. It might be useful to consider such a function in Nethack to
catch (beyond explicit MSGTYPE settings) some of the "spam message"
annoyance.

Janis
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-09-19 20:44:50 UTC
Post by Pat Rankin
If you answer ESC to the --More-- prompt, all further messages
are suppressed until it's time to give your next input. It's possible
Not sure if it had been a NAO feature, but I regularly hit Esc in
case of expected message spam, and then used ^P (Ctrl-P) to see all
messages together for anything interesting that may have happened.
It might be a good idea to not show the --More-- prompt after every
message, but instead show the next message on the next screen line, and
display the prompt only when either the last message has been printed
and it's the player's turn to do something or the screen is full of
messages.
Jukka Lahtinen
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-19 21:11:40 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
It might be a good idea to not show the --More-- prompt after every
message, but instead show the next message on the next screen line, and
display the prompt only when either the last message has been printed
and it's the player's turn to do something or the screen is full of
messages.
Yes, and this way also my first thought. This is so obvious that I thought
about what might have been the reason to not have been implemented that
way. Could it be that the scene on the screen should not be disturbed while
messages appear, so that you always have a graphical backup of the text? I
cannot tell. On the other side current behaviour may primarily be an issue
for 80x24 text legacy players (like me and other purists and veterans),
while players who use large displays might have more space for messages in
a separate sub-window or own section; or did I misobserve?

Janis
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-09-20 09:15:02 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
It might be a good idea to not show the --More-- prompt after every
message, but instead show the next message on the next screen line, and
display the prompt only when either the last message has been printed
and it's the player's turn to do something or the screen is full of
messages.
Yes, and this way also my first thought. This is so obvious that I thought
about what might have been the reason to not have been implemented that
Maybe the devteam just haven't thought about it yet, or nobody just got
around to do it..
Post by Janis Papanagnou
way. Could it be that the scene on the screen should not be disturbed while
messages appear, so that you always have a graphical backup of the text? I
Possibly, but there could be an option to choose between the current and
suggested behavior.. anyway, there are even now some things that cover
the map or parts of it, like the inventory and discovery listings and
pickup menus. OTOH, they are things that the player asked for, not
something that the game just displays when it chooses to.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
cannot tell. On the other side current behaviour may primarily be an issue
for 80x24 text legacy players (like me and other purists and veterans),
while players who use large displays might have more space for messages in
a separate sub-window or own section; or did I misobserve?
That's also a possible reason, but only valid when combined with your
previous guess.
My Linux virtual console has much more rows and columns, but they are
hardly used for anything in Nethack. The messages could occupy the rows
below the map and status lines.
Jukka Lahtinen
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson
2018-09-20 14:55:17 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Maybe the devteam just haven't thought about it yet
Oh, what a blasphemy!! - TDTTOE, as you surely know:

https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_DevTeam_Thinks_Of_Everything
;-)

BeAr
= What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
===============================================================--(Oops!)===
Jukka Lahtinen
2018-09-20 20:55:48 UTC
Post by B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Maybe the devteam just haven't thought about it yet
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_DevTeam_Thinks_Of_Everything
TDTTOE - eventually.
Notice "yet".

:-)
Jukka Lahtinen
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson
2018-09-20 22:16:59 UTC
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Post by B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson
Post by Jukka Lahtinen
Maybe the devteam just haven't thought about it yet
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/The_DevTeam_Thinks_Of_Everything
TDTTOE - eventually.
Notice "yet".
:-)
But how does the DevTeam then /foresee/ the requirement/possibility of
"lazy --more--" on large message windows? Janis wondered, "what might
have been the reason to not have been implemented that". This way the
TDTTOE causality is kept, while you nearly shattered the most basic
Nethack rule of faith... ;-)