Read The Color of Magic
Bobby Durrett
2018-09-05 03:12:56 UTC
So, I decided to read a Terry Pratchett Discworld book since Nethack has
references to Pratchett. I read "The Color of Magic". Definitely has
obvious connections to the Tourist role in Nethack which is fun. The
book reminded me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as others have
said. Reminded me a little also of the Septimus Heap books. It's pretty
funny and definitely creative.

Bobby
Jorgen Grahn
2018-09-05 05:31:30 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
So, I decided to read a Terry Pratchett Discworld book since Nethack has
references to Pratchett. I read "The Color of Magic". Definitely has
obvious connections to the Tourist role in Nethack which is fun. The
book reminded me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy as others have
said. Reminded me a little also of the Septimus Heap books. It's pretty
funny and definitely creative.
Thanks for the reminder; I haven't read Pratchett in decades.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Pat Rankin
2018-09-06 00:33:02 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
So, I decided to read a Terry Pratchett Discworld book since Nethack has
references to Pratchett. I read "The Color of Magic". Definitely has
obvious connections to the Tourist role in Nethack which is fun. [...]
The second book (_The_Light_Fantastic_) is a direct continuation of the
first. After that, the books rotate among several sets of main characters
with occasional one-offs (ones-off?) mixed in.
1) Rincewind the incompetent 'wizzard', which I find to be the weakest;
2) the Witches of Lancre;
3) the Town Watch of Ankh-Morpork, which typically feature a detective
mystery at the core of the plot;
4) Death and his extended family, mostly his family; Death makes at
least a token appearance in all but two of the books IIRC;
5) Tiffany Aching, a young witch featured in five books which were
marketed to "Young Adults" (so might be shelved in a different
section at actual bookstores) including one which wasn't finished--in
details; the story goes all the way to its end--that was published after
his death.
The first two or three books are episodic, the rest generally have a
continuous plot from start to finish.

Terry Pratchett was aware of nethack and its tourist role and reputedly
sent an email of appreciation--or at least acknowledgement--to dev-team,
but that was before my time (which is 25ish years now...) and I've never
seen it.

The novels in nethack 3.6.0 have around 10 short passages in about half
and 1 (or sometimes 2) in the others. In 3.6.1, every novel has around 10
passages, give or take a couple. Reading a novel multiple times cycles
through the available passages in random order, then after they've all
been read, further reading repeats using a new random order. Reading
a different novel--including a second instance of the same one--makes
the order and seen/not-yet-seen record of the previous novel be
forgotten (in order words, going back to an earlier book would restart
it from scratch, and also forget the later one).
Bobby Durrett
2018-09-06 04:10:41 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
So, I decided to read a Terry Pratchett Discworld book since Nethack has
references to Pratchett. I read "The Color of Magic". Definitely has
obvious connections to the Tourist role in Nethack which is fun. [...]
... edited for space...
The novels in nethack 3.6.0 have around 10 short passages in about half
and 1 (or sometimes 2) in the others. In 3.6.1, every novel has around 10
passages, give or take a couple. Reading a novel multiple times cycles
through the available passages in random order, then after they've all
been read, further reading repeats using a new random order. Reading
a different novel--including a second instance of the same one--makes
the order and seen/not-yet-seen record of the previous novel be
forgotten (in order words, going back to an earlier book would restart
it from scratch, and also forget the later one).
Pretty neat. I didn't realize there was so much content in the novel
objects in Nethack. I wished for a few novels in wizard mode and read
them a few times to see how they work.

I've ordered The Light Fantastic from the library so I'll have to see
what I think about it. I probably wouldn't have read these if the dev
team didn't mention the tribute in 3.6.0 so you have had an effect. :)

Bobby
Pat Rankin
2018-09-06 13:37:16 UTC
Post by Bobby Durrett
Pretty neat. I didn't realize there was so much content in the novel
objects in Nethack. I wished for a few novels in wizard mode and read
them a few times to see how they work.
The first 'second-hand bookstore' (scrolls) or 'rare books' (spellbooks)
shop created always has one (unless a previous character took it and
then left bones). I think the only other ways to acquire them are via
wishing or bones; they don't occur randomly. There are 41 of them,
plus chatting with Death has a chance to pick a one-line 'passage' from
an extra set collected across all of those. A few of the Death quotes
are interesting, most probably aren't.

The first passage read gives a little experience. Reading more passages,
whether from same novel or others, doesn't give any further experience.
Bobby Durrett
2018-09-07 03:34:09 UTC
Post by Pat Rankin
The first passage read gives a little experience. Reading more passages,
whether from same novel or others, doesn't give any further experience
That makes sense. The first novel I read from in wizard mode bumped me
up to level 2. Must have been the experience boost. It didn't happen
again after the first one.

Bobby