What did I just find?
Mandmsoles
2018-07-21 16:13:58 UTC
I'm new to this game.

I found an indigo spellbook in a store that was going for 800 zorkmids. I got my kitten to steal it and bring it out for me to read. When I read it, all of my money disappeared and the book was not identified.

What did I just find?
Janis Papanagnou
2018-07-21 17:16:43 UTC
Post by Mandmsoles
I'm new to this game.
I found an indigo spellbook in a store that was going for 800 zorkmids. I
got my kitten to steal it and bring it out for me to read. When I read it,
all of my money disappeared and the book was not identified.
I suppose the book vanished? - This can happen if it's of too high level
for your character; it disintegrated and all money carried in open inventory
will also vanish.

You *can* read high level spellbooks if they are blessed, though. But that
dies not mean you can also cast them.[*]
Post by Mandmsoles
What did I just find?
Depending on some factors that was either a spellbook of level 4 or 6
(ranges go from 1 to 7, so it was a pretty high level spellbook).

Spellbooks of high level are rarely healthy to read early in the game.
Of course it depends on some personal stats, played role, etc., but as
a rule of thumb I'd not read spellbooks of levels greater that 1 or 2,
and would abstain completely if playing a fighter class.

Janis

[*] If you want some spoiler you may want to try out these tools to see
what you need to read or cast spells:
http://nh.gridbug.de/learnspells.html
http://nh.gridbug.de/spells.html
m***@yahoo.com
2018-07-22 15:43:02 UTC
Sadly much of nethack is "You can use it later."

You should never read a spellbook unblessed unless you have SERIOUSLY high stats. Otherwise real bad stuff happens.