I hate cockatrices
Carl Sundbom
2018-05-26 06:58:23 UTC
So I think a lot of us had initial problems with the awesome power/deadliness of cockatrices and their corpses; picking them up without gloves, getting hissing stoned, carrying and falling in a pit, biting while polymorphed etc. Anyway, we have all learned our lessons, I thought. I clearly hadn't. Promising Priest-C-Elf with most of the essentials killed a cockatrice with Stormy and then decided to put on a towel to see what else is out there. Took one step back and "You feel a cockatrice corpse"... No gloves.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-05-26 09:26:03 UTC
Post by Carl Sundbom
So I think a lot of us had initial problems with the awesome
power/deadliness of cockatrices and their corpses; picking them up without
gloves, getting hissing stoned, carrying and falling in a pit, biting while
polymorphed etc. Anyway, we have all learned our lessons, I thought. I
clearly hadn't. Promising Priest-C-Elf with most of the essentials killed a
cockatrice with Stormy and then decided to put on a towel to see what else
is out there. Took one step back and "You feel a cockatrice corpse"... No
gloves.
Killing a cockatrice at Oracle, getting blinded, walking around Oracle's
inner lair, walking across the spot where the c got killed. Or, killing
lots of monsters at Knox, including a cockatrice, getting blinded, and a
soldier (with gloves) picking up the corpse and hitting me with it. Or,
attacking a monster with a cockatrice corpse in my gloved hands, the
monster, a foocubus, removing my cloves before I made the first hit. Or,
having picked up a cockatrice with gloves, removed the power gloves to
cast a spell, then put all food (including the c corpse) into the bag
without prior wearing the gloves again. Or just the classical wielding of
a corpse at the Sanctum, killing a couple monsters, and thinking that I
should immediately unwield the corpse in the same instance of time when
my muscle memory makes a (final) move into an undetected pit. Or, getting
hit with a thrown cockatrice egg, but not noticing it with all the many
battle messages. Or just eating an unidentified (c-)egg deeper down in
the dungeons. Last but not least, offering a c-corpse that died directly
on the altar without wearing gloves. (Just to add some more experiences
I made to your list.)

My personal nightmare (not yet been there) is to fall into a pit of a
bones level where there's a the cockatrice corpse in it and all covered
by the statue of the former character so that you cannot even see it.

Janis
jim in austin
2018-05-26 17:11:05 UTC
My personal nightmare (not yet been there) is to fall into a pit of a
bones level where there's a the cockatrice corpse in it and all covered
by the statue of the former character so that you cannot even see it.
I happily dream of wandering into a polymorph trap with my =oPC on, choosing
the skeleton form and then and then eating a cockatrice.

"This tastes just like chicken!"
Harold Hill
2018-05-31 14:51:53 UTC
Post by Carl Sundbom
Took one step back and "You feel a cockatrice corpse"... No gloves.
That right there is my number one reason for wearing gloves. Another slot for five points of armor class is nice, but avoiding Another Stupid/Annoying Death is the big one.
-Harold Hill
Carl Sundbom
I never found any gloves, and hence my demise.
jim in austin
2018-06-02 10:18:52 UTC
Post by Carl Sundbom
Post by Harold Hill
Post by Carl Sundbom
Took one step back and "You feel a cockatrice corpse"... No gloves.
That right there is my number one reason for wearing gloves. Another slot for five points of armor class is nice, but avoiding Another Stupid/Annoying Death is the big one.
--
-Harold Hill
I never found any gloves, and hence my demise.
Minetown guards tend to have gloves and other goodies. Whisper that in
your large pet's ear...