YAAD
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-04-30 18:24:00 UTC
So, I was walking into a dead end area of sokoban 1, pick up a scroll of earth and immediately thought to myself "Huh, wonder where the other scroll is...", and turned back to hallway to encounter a dwarf lord. I thought to myself "Fuck Dwarves!" and proceeded to beat him upside the head with my +1 axe.

This dwarf must have been a samurai, as seppuku was a better solution to him than death at the hands of a Vampire Barbarian. He read the missing scroll of earth, the ceiling collapsed around us, burying his corpse and trapping me in the corner.

At first I thought "Good thing I brought this /oS!" But it turns out it was either cursed or out of charges, because it turned to dust on the first attempt. My blood pressure spiked a little, but no big problem I thought, I just picked up a pick axe...that I left in my stash.

"I might not have a paddle, but I'm not up shits creek yet! I might have to leave my armour behind, but I have a spare set at my stash." I start disrobing when I get the message "You can't, it's cursed".

Growing weak with hunger, and my options limited, I kneeled to the ground and prayed to my God. God was like "You look hungry! Let me fix that!"

So here I am now, hoping that the forum God's will be a little more helpful than prolonging my suffering. Any ideas?

I have a wand of digging, not that helps. My last option is the uncursed magic lamp that I have, but this unnethack, so the best I can do is trade permanent light for a pick axe.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-04-30 18:55:11 UTC
[ stuck in boulders at Sokoban ]
"I might not have a paddle, but I'm not up shits creek yet! I might have to
leave my armour behind, but I have a spare set at my stash." I start
disrobing when I get the message "You can't, it's cursed".
What piece of armor was cursed? - I seem to recall that it's not always
necessary to disrobe completely if there's only a light piece of armor
left. Remove and drop the rest of your armor and try (maybe repeatedly?)
squeezing past. If that doesn't help I'd wait for the next "weak" message
and pray again. If you have enough food you could also wait 2k turns (or
so), eat food rations when necessary, and retry praying. (I'm not quite
sure whether it's really necessary to have a single issue for your god
to help fixing specifically this one, but I'd try that.) Other options
would depend on your actual inventory which we don't know, so I have to
stop here.

Janis
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-04-30 21:06:55 UTC
A scroll of Earth
Decrepit Spellbook
Black Onyx Ring
Wand of Digging

Uni Horn
Lock pick
Magic lamp

It's my cloak that's cursed (CoMC that I picked up off of a dead Wiz), so my dwavish coat is locked beneath it.

Also, I'm a vampire and I just prayed, so I will die before my prayer cycles.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-04-30 23:03:28 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
A scroll of Earth
Decrepit Spellbook
Black Onyx Ring
Wand of Digging
Uni Horn
Lock pick
Magic lamp
It's my cloak that's cursed (CoMC that I picked up off of a dead Wiz), so my dwavish coat is locked beneath it.
That is probably too heavy to squeeze into the gap. :-(
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
Also, I'm a vampire and I just prayed, so I will die before my prayer cycles.
If that ring incidentally happens to be polymorph...

Otherwise I see just the chance for a wish as option.

Janis
Pat Rankin
2018-04-30 22:00:31 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
I have a wand of digging, not that helps. My last option is the uncursed
magic lamp that I have, but this unnethack, so the best I can do is trade
permanent light for a pick axe.
I don't know the wishing restrictions of unnethack. In nethack, I'd suggest
wishing for a blessed spellbook of force bolt if your character is a good
spell caster or a wand of striking if not. Or a wand of teleportation might
be even better. Spellbook of teleport away is probably not a good choice
unless the character is a _very_ good spell caster.

If you have any way to summon monsters, hope for an item using one who
happens to have a wand of striking (in 3.6.x monsters will zap those at you
even if there is a boulder blocking their line of fire) or a giant who can pick
up boulders. Odds of success are extremely poor even if you're capable
of summoning an unlimited number of monsters since useless monsters
will probably get in the way--even fill the level--before the right one appears.

I think that if you had prayed _before_ becoming weak from hunger you
would have gotten the trouble-stuck-in-wall result and been teleported,
although you might have still ended up somewhere inconvenient. Stuck-in-
wall includes being stuck inside solid rock (probably after polymorph into a
xorn has timed out) but also being surrounded by walls (a doorless closet)
and/or by unpushable boulders (but 3.6.0 doesn't know that diagonal pushing
won't work in Sokoban so you might have needed to read the second scroll
of earth to get blocked by double boulders depending on the map position).
Janis Papanagnou
2018-04-30 22:59:10 UTC
Post by Pat Rankin
[ Stuck in a boulder fort at Sokoban ]
If you have any way to summon monsters, hope for an item using one who
happens to have a wand of striking (in 3.6.x monsters will zap those at you
even if there is a boulder blocking their line of fire) or a giant who can pick
up boulders. [...]
I think I've heard that giants can't pick up boulders in Sokoban.
(Not sure when it had been invented, and unsure about UnNethack.)

2018-04-30 23:12:18 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
This dwarf must have been a samurai, as seppuku was a better solution to
him than death at the hands of a Vampire Barbarian. He read the missing
scroll of earth, the ceiling collapsed around us, burying his corpse and
trapping me in the corner.
One more idea; depending on the actual layout where you are trapped...
If you break your wand of digging it will result in adjacent pits, and
if there's enough boulders adjacent these will fill the pits and you
may get sufficient room to move and push the boulders. But as said, it
depends on the actual layout.

Janis
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-04-30 23:53:25 UTC
Wishing in Unnethack really really sucks. Wands of Wishing are the only source of "true" wishes, all wands come x:1 so no recharges, and all other sources may only wish for non-magical items (ie no artifacts, wands, potions, scrolls, rings, ect.). Also, even with a /oW, you can't wish for GDSM or SDSM. Their appearances/abilities are randomized every game like scrolls and potions.

Also, as I said, I'm a Vampire Barbarian, so casting is out of the question, particularly with Dwarvish Mail on at level 9. Being a Vampire, praying is one of my only forms nutrition, so prayers have to be carefully rationed. If I pray without being weak, there is a very strong chance that I will be dead of starvation in the next 800 turns. Vamps have instrinsic regeneration, and the cost it carries. Lastly, because I just prayed for food, I have a 99.999% die of dying before my prayer times out. (00.001% chance that a flood of snakes pours through the Iron Bars and I manage to drain enough blood to survive)

+1 for Janis for the wand idea, but no avail.

In the end, I had to use the uncursed magic lamp, and I got the 20% chance for a wish. Blessed fooproof pickaxe +3! This is the most pimp pick-axe I have ever owned.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-05-01 15:50:35 UTC
Post by Gyprock Gypsy
In the end, I had to use the uncursed magic lamp, and I got the 20% chance
for a wish. Blessed fooproof pickaxe +3! This is the most pimp pick-axe I
have ever owned.
Good you had that luck!

It just occurred to me that there would have likely been another option.
You were stuck on the first Sokoban level (IIUC), and hadn't explored
the upper levels (I assume so, since you hadn't picked up the scrolls).
So, while the downstairs had been unreachable you could have reached
the upstairs (jump into the pits climb out on the other side), I suppose
(don't know the Un-NH details), so you could have gone upwards and jump
into a hole. That would place you randomly on the first Sokoban level.
Rinse repeat until you land on the right side of the monster's boulder
fort. Or do the rest of Sokoban to find the other wands which may also
help you (striking, teleport, ...).

Janis
Phil McKraken
If I have a class that allows for two weapon, I also have a fooproof +5 pickax, too. While two weaponing with a long sword, I can kill most things in Gehennom without switching to my primary weapon. A simple convenience.
Gyprock Gypsy
2018-05-07 20:05:55 UTC
Now a YASD.

I was at my stash switching weapons after clearing out Aphrodite's lair (an Unnethack Dlvl that is populated with about 20 nymphs and 1 unique very fast nymph) when I punched a cockatrice in the face with my bare hands.