Why do I enjoy blood in this game?
Duszek Smsaczek
2018-08-01 19:39:38 UTC
I just love this extreme amount of blood, gore and violence when killing monsters on NetHack. When I kill, I imagine monster turning into huge pile of blood, gore and gibs. I know that violence and war is never the answer. Crime doesn't pay... wait, crime does actually pay you kids, but in the penalties such as imprisonment, fines and criminal record.

Am I just edgy or sick? Note that I know that it's just a game and I'm against any kind of war, crime and breaking law (including violence) in the real world cause it is always bad.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-01 19:50:47 UTC
Post by Duszek Smsaczek
I just love this extreme amount of blood, gore and violence when killing
monsters on NetHack. When I kill, I imagine monster turning into huge pile
of blood, gore and gibs.
When I kill a monster I imagine monster turning into '%' (or sometimes
into '[' or ')' or '?' or '*').
Post by Duszek Smsaczek
Am I just edgy or sick?
I suggest to ask your preferred '&' to get an authoritative answer.

More seriously; if you really see or imagine "blood, gore and gibs" when
playing Nethack I'd try to get psychological help... - or switch to the
ASCII interface.

Janis
Duszek Smsaczek
2018-08-01 20:24:32 UTC
Post by Duszek Smsaczek
I just love this extreme amount of blood, gore and violence when killing
monsters on NetHack. When I kill, I imagine monster turning into huge pile
of blood, gore and gibs.
When I kill a monster I imagine monster turning into '%' (or sometimes
into '[' or ')' or '?' or '*').
The visual depends on which symbol I will get. For example when I have got '%' I see blood, gore and edible gibs.
I'm playing on terminal (ASCII) interface, never even tried playing on tiled mode and I still imagine this. Considering that only FPS game I ever played were only Counter-Strike series and only 5 minutes of original Doom, it's weird. Maybe watching violent movies and reading violent books could turn my imagination into imagining such gory visuals?
Jorgen Grahn
2018-08-02 09:05:34 UTC
Post by Duszek Smsaczek
I just love this extreme amount of blood, gore and violence when
killing monsters on NetHack. When I kill, I imagine monster turning
into huge pile of blood, gore and gibs.
[We're both playing in text mode.]

This is interesting. I don't think I imagine gore, but I /am/ aware
that I'm killing or murdering, and get some sick enjoyment from it.

Killing a T feels slightly different, since I know it will probably
resurrect. Eating or tinning it feels different. Throwing the corpse
into water is even more fun; I tend to stick around to watch it drown.

Post by Duszek Smsaczek
Am I just edgy or sick? Note that I know that it's just a game and
I'm against any kind of war, crime and breaking law (including
violence) in the real world cause it is always bad.
I think this is all safe and normal. Especially since it's so
abstract. (I'm not so sure about FPS games.)

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .