Which vanilla Nethack to play?
Jorgen Grahn
2018-03-12 13:51:03 UTC
For various reasons, I haven't played since 3.6.0 came out.
I intend to start now; which version should I use?

Or, which Git commit should I use? Back after 3.6.0 got released, I
noted that x11 color support (the kind I was using, anyway) was broken
and fixed a few days (or weeks) after the release, so I figure the
situation may be similar now.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-12 16:34:50 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
For various reasons, I haven't played since 3.6.0 came out.
I intend to start now; which version should I use?
Or, which Git commit should I use? Back after 3.6.0 got released, I
noted that x11 color support (the kind I was using, anyway) was broken
and fixed a few days (or weeks) after the release, so I figure the
situation may be similar now.
Usually I would jump onto every new version of a game, given that bugs
are fixed, improvements are done, features added. In this case some I/O
features I was used from 13+ years of playing on NAO NH-343 repelled me
from moving to NH-36x. (It is interesting to observe on NAO that at times
~25% of the players there still prefer NH-343.) In your case, given that
you had a long break, the "used-to-NH343-behaviour" effect might not be
that bothering, so I'd suggest to try out the newest version.

Janis
Jorgen Grahn
2018-03-12 20:08:21 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
For various reasons, I haven't played since 3.6.0 came out.
I intend to start now; which version should I use?
Or, which Git commit should I use? Back after 3.6.0 got released, I
noted that x11 color support (the kind I was using, anyway) was broken
and fixed a few days (or weeks) after the release, so I figure the
situation may be similar now.
Usually I would jump onto every new version of a game, given that bugs
are fixed, improvements are done, features added. In this case some I/O
features I was used from 13+ years of playing on NAO NH-343 repelled me
from moving to NH-36x. (It is interesting to observe on NAO that at times
~25% of the players there still prefer NH-343.) In your case, given that
you had a long break, the "used-to-NH343-behaviour" effect might not be
that bothering, so I'd suggest to try out the newest version.
Depends on what you mean by "I/O features" ... I'm pretty conservative
about user interfaces. On the other hand, when I tried 3.6.0 it
looked and felt just like 3.4.3 (for the first few levels, anyway, and
after I had fixed the color support).

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
jim in austin
2018-03-12 19:04:50 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
For various reasons, I haven't played since 3.6.0 came out.
I intend to start now; which version should I use?
Or, which Git commit should I use? Back after 3.6.0 got released, I
noted that x11 color support (the kind I was using, anyway) was broken
and fixed a few days (or weeks) after the release, so I figure the
situation may be similar now.
I play 3.6.1 on hardfought.org. The 3.6.0 had several egregious bugs
that have since been fixed...
Jorgen Grahn
2018-03-12 20:01:37 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Jorgen Grahn
For various reasons, I haven't played since 3.6.0 came out.
I intend to start now; which version should I use?
Or, which Git commit should I use? Back after 3.6.0 got released, I
noted that x11 color support (the kind I was using, anyway) was broken
and fixed a few days (or weeks) after the release, so I figure the
situation may be similar now.
I play 3.6.1 on hardfought.org. The 3.6.0 had several egregious bugs
that have since been fixed...
Thanks. I saw 3.6.1 being mentioned (by you, I think) in another
thread. However, I cannot see that 3.6.1 has been released by the
DevTeam, and I couldn't find any info at hardfought.org (except that
they claim to run 3.6.0). Do you know what code they're running, more
precisely?

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
jim in austin
2018-03-12 22:09:33 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Thanks. I saw 3.6.1 being mentioned (by you, I think) in another
thread. However, I cannot see that 3.6.1 has been released by the
DevTeam, and I couldn't find any info at hardfought.org (except that
they claim to run 3.6.0). Do you know what code they're running, more
precisely?
I assume hardfought is "rolling their own" from:
https://github.com/nethack/nethack
Jorgen Grahn
2018-03-13 06:56:18 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Thanks. I saw 3.6.1 being mentioned (by you, I think) in another
thread. However, I cannot see that 3.6.1 has been released by the
DevTeam, and I couldn't find any info at hardfought.org (except that
they claim to run 3.6.0). Do you know what code they're running, more
precisely?
https://github.com/nethack/nethack
So do I, but I was hoping they either documented which one they're
running right now, or had their own public fork of that repository.
And I couldn't find anything.

Well, I can simply run 3.6.0 plus the color mode bug fix I know about.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
jim in austin
2018-03-13 12:08:03 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Post by jim in austin
https://github.com/nethack/nethack
So do I, but I was hoping they either documented which one they're
running right now, or had their own public fork of that repository.
And I couldn't find anything.
Well, I can simply run 3.6.0 plus the color mode bug fix I know about.
Start a session and type "v" to see the last compile date for 3.6.1. They
are very good about staying current, unlike another public server I could
mention...
David Damerell
2018-03-19 21:12:09 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Start a session and type "v" to see the last compile date for 3.6.1. They
are very good about staying current, unlike another public server I could
mention...
One of many innovations I would like to see borrowed from the Crawl world
is that public servers autobuild the development version. The developers
thereby get it tested, and people get to play it.
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is First Stilday, March - a weekend.
Tomorrow will be Gorgonzoladay, March - a weekend.
Jorgen Grahn
2018-03-20 09:58:48 UTC
Post by David Damerell
Post by jim in austin
Start a session and type "v" to see the last compile date for 3.6.1. They
are very good about staying current, unlike another public server I could
mention...
One of many innovations I would like to see borrowed from the Crawl world
is that public servers autobuild the development version. The developers
thereby get it tested, and people get to play it.
Whatever the solutions are, there /does/ seem to be a problem with the
users lagging behind the development ... for two years. The more
changes accumulate, the less likely you are to upgrade.

Personally, right now I would love to have 3.6.0 plus all existing bug
fixes, packaged as 3.6.1.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-20 11:41:38 UTC
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Post by David Damerell
One of many innovations I would like to see borrowed from the Crawl world
is that public servers autobuild the development version. The developers
thereby get it tested, and people get to play it.
As a player and as a software engineer I would rather like to have already
tested versions available. Frustration would be too large if a good game
crashes. Providing a separate test branch to choose from would be okay,
though; the players could choose, new features vs. potential new problems.
Also a bugfix-only release would be okay; chances are good in that case
that you get a better, more reliable version. That said; auto-build would
be fine, provided that not every check-in would constitute a new version
getting published.
Post by Jorgen Grahn
Whatever the solutions are, there /does/ seem to be a problem with the
users lagging behind the development ... for two years. The more
changes accumulate, the less likely you are to upgrade.
I - being a NH-343 player - wouldn't mind lots of changes per se. New
and interesting features are always an incentive to switch! Given the
NAO audience I also don't see that people would be reluctant to upgrade;
a significant majority plays NH-36x, including the "361dev" version.