[slashem] A streak (of two)
2018-10-05 18:02:36 UTC
After my recent monk I just ascended a tourist; makes it a "streak" of two.
I've got only a few new impressions, though. I was frightened to ESP-detect
an Astral Deva - the first of two in the whole game - in Medusa's house (on
the titan version), but, after reading about it in the Wiki, decided to not
introduce myself to her. And at some instance I met my first Planetar, which
I decided to relocate by a teleport zap rather than testing my buffness
against him or her. They must be about the toughest monsters, and I suppose,
as angelic beings, they disrespect Elbereth. And finally that mystery about
my Werebane getting disenchanted twice that I already mentioned elsewhere.
I used two wishes and left the dungeons with a fully charged wand of wishing.
Ah, and I just see that I seem to have got XL-drained somewhere at the Astral
Plane; I lost three levels it seems and didn't notice during the heat of the
fight there. Which reminds me another incident; on Gehennom's bottom level,
which was a "maze" with clouds as "walls", I got attacked by a horde of grey
humanoids (don't recall the species). The clouds made it possible that they
attack me from all sides unhindered. The bad thing was that I noticed too
late that one of them zapped me with a wand of level drain repeatedly. These
wands are a really nasty invention in Slashem; the are of comparably little
use in the player's hands, but are most effective in the hand of a monster.
(I already had a bad experience about that in my previous game when I reached
the Adventurer's Guild level.) Anyway a fun and interesting game!

Janis
Pat Rankin
2018-10-05 23:24:37 UTC
[...] The bad thing was that I noticed too
late that one of them zapped me with a wand of level drain repeatedly. These
wands are a really nasty invention in Slashem; the[y] are of comparably little
use in the player's hands, but are most effective in the hand of a monster.
I hated them too. And I was aware that if you lose N levels (for any
reason), you can recover all N by drinking N blessed potions of full
healing, but I kept overlooking that when actually playing.

Those potions were toned down when incorporated into nethack
(where they'll recover N/2, rounded up, lost levels) since the wands
didn't come along with them.

Note that in slash'em, it is feasible to gain levels beyond 14 by simply
killing monsters. The thresholds for attaining high experience levels
are a lot lower than they are in nethack.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-10-06 06:17:00 UTC
Post by Pat Rankin
[ wands of level drain ]
I hated them too. And I was aware that if you lose N levels (for any
reason), you can recover all N by drinking N blessed potions of full
healing, but I kept overlooking that when actually playing.
Wow, that's good to know!
Post by Pat Rankin
Those potions were toned down when incorporated into nethack
(where they'll recover N/2, rounded up, lost levels) since the wands
didn't come along with them.
In the past I've read something about restoring just one level, but
anyway, when I tried that once I didn't saw an effect (not sure how
I've spoiled the effect, or whether I was completely misobserving),
and abstained from trying again. So [in Nethack] I just try to kill
some monster quickly (that's what zombies and mummies in the Valley
are for) so that I immediately get back any lost level. If you're
beyond XL:14 that's good enough, otherwise it's annoying (same with
early lost levels due to polytraps).
Post by Pat Rankin
Note that in slash'em, it is feasible to gain levels beyond 14 by simply
killing monsters. The thresholds for attaining high experience levels
are a lot lower than they are in nethack.
In Nethack I got levels from monster kills up to XL:15, in Slashem
(specifically in my last game) I've got the impression that this was
possible even in the ealy XL:20's range, there's so many monsters and
of high level.

Janis
wumpus
2018-10-06 19:42:09 UTC
[ wands of level drain ]
Post by Pat Rankin
Note that in slash'em, it is feasible to gain levels beyond 14 by simply
killing monsters. The thresholds for attaining high experience levels
are a lot lower than they are in nethack.
In Nethack I got levels from monster kills up to XL:15, in Slashem
(specifically in my last game) I've got the impression that this was
possible even in the ealy XL:20's range, there's so many monsters and
of high level.
I regularly end up in the high 20's to 30 by ascension, and I rarely gain
levels by any mechanism _other_ than killing monsters. I don't often
bother with wraith luring, and I use all my potions of gain level (after
the first) for tinkering (or as a reserve against drain level). After my
stats are maxed out, that's where my potions of enlightenment go too
(alchemy with levitation makes gain level).

Alex