Excalibur, lenses and intrinsic searching, do these bonuses stack?
twisty
2018-06-04 03:11:29 UTC
Hello Fellow NetHackers!

Just a guestion for the pros/code divers. If i'm weilding Excalibur,
wearing a pair of lenses and have intrinsic search, do all the bonues stack
together? If not does anyone know how this works i.e. Highest one applies,
one tops the others or just random factors? I know luck plays a part of the
success of searching but i'm trying to see what these 3 combined offer,
since i have all 3.

Thanks for any input!
Hopefully not another YASD player
Pat Rankin
2018-06-04 22:37:48 UTC
Post by twisty
Just a guestion for the pros/code divers. If i'm weilding Excalibur,
wearing a pair of lenses and have intrinsic search, do all the bonues stack
together? If not does anyone know how this works i.e. Highest one applies,
one tops the others or just random factors? I know luck plays a part of the
success of searching but i'm trying to see what these 3 combined offer,
since i have all 3.
Intrinsic searching doesn't improve your chance of finding anything
during a search but it does cause an auto-search to take place without
using a turn.

Excalibur provides a searching bonus based on its enchantment; that
bonus is capped at +5. (Also, if the enchantment is negative, it's
treated as 0 rather than actively harm your chance of finding something.)

Lenses stack with that, adding +2, but the overall bonus is still capped
at +5. So effectively, they stack if Excalibur is +3 or less, they stack at
half strength if Excalibur is +4, and they no longer have any effect if
Excalibur is +5 or higher.

A +5 bonus and Luck of 0 or +/-1 produces a 50% chance of success
for each search. +5 and Luck of +2 or higher practically guarantees
success (chance is roughly 97.5%; if Luck is even higher, there is only a
tiny incremental improvement).
twisty
2018-06-04 23:44:59 UTC
Post by Pat Rankin
Post by twisty
[...]
Thanks Pat, for that information. I knew the enchantment on Excalibur
boosted the bonus. But wasn't sure about the rest. Guess the max is +5 :(
Zork Ringmasters
2018-06-06 19:14:05 UTC
Post by twisty
Hello Fellow NetHackers!
Just a guestion for the pros/code divers. If i'm weilding Excalibur,
wearing a pair of lenses and have intrinsic search, do all the bonues stack
together? If not does anyone know how this works i.e. Highest one applies,
one tops the others or just random factors? I know luck plays a part of the
success of searching but i'm trying to see what these 3 combined offer,
since i have all 3.
Thanks for any input!
Hopefully not another YASD player
A B C and Q and ò give me this information please it is highly important

Yes the bonuses stack.