Specific alignment standing
2018-03-24 13:25:03 UTC
Playing NH for decades I seem to never have noticed before that a stethoscope
applied at self will (in addition to the alignment, Chaotic, Neutral, Lawful)
also display your current standing, like "(insufficiently chaotic)". That was
useful information after having killed a few peaceful monsters.

Janis
twisty
2018-03-24 18:18:09 UTC
Playing NH for decades I seem to never have noticed before that a
stethoscope applied at self will (in addition to the alignment,
Chaotic, Neutral, Lawful) also display your current standing, like
"(insufficiently chaotic)". That was useful information after having
killed a few peaceful monsters.
Janis
That's why i love stethoscopes! They also can show yours, other monsters
and pets stats (invisible, fast, eating, can't move, scared etc etc). Also
a great way to tell if you've been naughty or nice with your God :)
Very underrated tool i think. Of course i will not pray for one. But when
i'm poly piling, i make sure to look for them.

Happy Hacking!
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-25 07:19:12 UTC
Post by twisty
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Playing NH for decades I seem to never have noticed before that a
stethoscope applied at self will (in addition to the alignment,
Chaotic, Neutral, Lawful) also display your current standing, like
"(insufficiently chaotic)". That was useful information after having
killed a few peaceful monsters.
That's why i love stethoscopes! They also can show yours, other monsters
and pets stats (invisible, fast, eating, can't move, scared etc etc). Also
a great way to tell if you've been naughty or nice with your God :)
Yeah, the latter property was actually new to me. I also appreciate
them a lot. They're of course carried in open inventory to be of use
specifically in critical situations.
Post by twisty
Very underrated tool i think. Of course i will not pray for one. But when
i'm poly piling, i make sure to look for them.
I seem to recall a game (or two) where I even wished for one. (Not
quite sure, though.)

Janis
jim in austin
2018-03-25 13:50:08 UTC
Post by twisty
Very underrated tool i think. Of course i will not pray for one. But when
i'm poly piling, i make sure to look for them.
I seem to recall a game (or two) where I even wished for one. (Not
quite sure, though.)
I acquired a healthy respect for stethoscopes (pun intended) when I was
on my Healer binge several years ago. I would apply it thousands and
thousands of times in a game, assuming I lived that long. Great for a
meager melee role to measure your progress against a foe. Will still
instinctively grab one when available. Slightly less functional in 3.6.x
since there are a number of things that can make you temporarily deaf...
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-25 13:59:19 UTC
[ stethoscopes ] Slightly less functional in 3.6.x
since there are a number of things that can make you temporarily deaf...
Hmm.. - Given that they "measure" also alignment status to your god I'd
have assumed that they are somewhat magical and (as opposed to real life)
would maybe work also when deaf. - What a pity.

Janis
twisty
2018-03-25 23:31:56 UTC
[ stethoscopes ] Slightly less functional in 3.6.x
since there are a number of things that can make you temporarily deaf...
Hmm.. - Given that they "measure" also alignment status to your god I'd
have assumed that they are somewhat magical and (as opposed to real life)
would maybe work also when deaf. - What a pity.
Janis
Also they are great for finding Secret Door. Plus it doesn't cost a turn if
you use them once, during your turn. Twice the time counter advances.
jim in austin
2018-03-26 03:54:06 UTC
[ stethoscopes ] Slightly less functional in 3.6.x
since there are a number of things that can make you temporarily deaf...
Hmm.. - Given that they "measure" also alignment status to your god I'd
have assumed that they are somewhat magical and (as opposed to real life)
would maybe work also when deaf. - What a pity.
Magical or not they require you to stick little tubes in your ears to hear
what they have to say. Being deaf might possibly be a hindrance...
Janis Papanagnou
2018-03-26 05:39:02 UTC
Post by jim in austin
Post by Janis Papanagnou
[ stethoscopes ] Slightly less functional in 3.6.x
since there are a number of things that can make you temporarily deaf...
Hmm.. - Given that they "measure" also alignment status to your god I'd
have assumed that they are somewhat magical and (as opposed to real life)
would maybe work also when deaf. - What a pity.
Magical or not they require you to stick little tubes in your ears to hear
what they have to say. Being deaf might possibly be a hindrance...
What I wanted to say is that with [magical] ESP you can "see" monsters also
if you're blind. IOW, the magic effect may allow everything, bypassing ones
physical capabilities. It could be similar with stethoscopes. But maybe they
are considered non-magical, or maybe it's just gameplay reasons, or whatever.

Janis
Phil McKraken
2018-04-12 23:53:53 UTC
I propose an artifact stethoscope with the following properties:

Healer quest artifact called "Ears of the Uberdork"

Carried:
Poison resistance
Sleep resistance
Stoning resistance

Applied to hostile monsters:
Cures hearing loss
Current effects
Shows monster inventory (like wand of probing)
1d4 damage vs. small and large

Applied to peaceful monsters:
Cures hearing loss
Current effects

Applied to pets:
Cures hearing loss
Current effects
Healing (per potion)

Applied to self:
Cures hearing loss
Current effects

Invoked:
Same effect as unicorn horn of same B/U/C