Final attributes [NH-343]
2018-07-07 12:59:08 UTC
I am puzzled about this dumplog entry from my just finished game:

Final attributes
You were protected

I had put on an HoOA and lost all my protection before I sacrificed the
amulet. (Also not wearing a ring or a cloak of protection.) - Any ideas?

Janis
David Damerell
2018-07-07 16:08:55 UTC
Final attributes
You were protected
I had put on an HoOA and lost all my protection before I sacrificed the
amulet. (Also not wearing a ring or a cloak of protection.) - Any ideas?
https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Intrinsic_protection

There are two states here - the amount you have, and whether or not it's
"switched on". After putting on the helm, the amount became zero, but it
was still "switched on". Both message and mechanic are arguably not ideal
here; 3.6.x might improve matters.
--
David Damerell <***@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Thursday, Presuary.
Tomorrow will be Second Friday, Presuary.
Patric Mueller
2018-07-09 09:48:22 UTC
Final attributes
You were protected
I had put on an HoOA and lost all my protection before I sacrificed the
amulet. (Also not wearing a ring or a cloak of protection.) - Any ideas?
As David already correctly said, the game considers the player being
protected, even if the additional protection turns out to be zero.

3.6 did away with this particular message for protection and the
message you get will be
"You have a small/moderate/large defense bonus/penalty (+-number)."

You can still get the "You are protected." message as this is now
output as information about your MC status. "protected" is for MC3,
"warded" and "guarded" are for MC1 and MC2.

Bye
Patric
--
NetHack-De: NetHack auf Deutsch - http://nethack-de.sf.net/