[slashem] dungeon branches
2018-08-23 06:56:55 UTC
Beyond the aligned quests, are there any prizes in the various dungeon
branches (e.g. Wyrm Caves) in Slash'EM or are these just for variety?
Any suggestion which branches to do or to better skip, and conditions
to meet to be able to do them? I seem to recall that the aligned quests
had been considered difficult (and have prizes), but how about the other
branches?

E.g. I found the Grayswandir in the Wyrm Caves but that could have just
been coincidence (and neglecting the HP counter I died before finishing
all dragons to see whether there's a (real?) prize.

Janis
wumpus
2018-08-23 20:25:20 UTC
Howdy,
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Beyond the aligned quests, are there any prizes in the various dungeon
branches (e.g. Wyrm Caves) in Slash'EM or are these just for variety?
Any suggestion which branches to do or to better skip, and conditions
to meet to be able to do them? I seem to recall that the aligned quests
had been considered difficult (and have prizes), but how about the other
branches?
If I recall correctly, there's fairly detailed spoilage of the SLASH'EM
special levels available online. In capsule, though:

- Mine King (below Mine's End): Has a throne, and Ruggo has a guaranteed
wand (which makes him potentially quite dangerous).

- The Mall* is quite useful, when it appears, just for shops.
- The Rats* are silly.
- The Kobolds* are silly, but do have a throne.
- The Orcs (Grund's) are NOT silly. They are very, very dangerous.
I've died many times here. They're definitely worth doing, though,
for the potions of enlightenment, if nothing else. You may need to go
deeper and come back, though.
- The Dragons (Wyrm Caves) are good for making DSM, and or gaining
intrinsics.
- The Undead (Lost Tomb) usually have some decent loot. Watch out for
the lich and troll mummy.
- The Black Market is awesome! Yay for identifying lots o' stuff!
Killing Sam is NOT recommended, as is being killed by Sam.
- The Nymphs* are silly.
- The Spiders are mean-ish, but worth it for the guaranteed boots o'
speed and other loot.
- The Disgruntled Adventurers* can be dangerous, especially if you're
not drain resistant. OTOH, they are a source of infinite wands of death
and teleportation, making the endgame a snap.
- The Sunless Sea has a magic lamp.
- The Temple of Moloch is a good place to use those wands of death.
It has a guaranteed altar. I use it as a staging platform for the
late game.
- The Giants are silly. There's a throne.
- Frankenstein is silly. There's a wand of polymorph.

On the Quest Levels:

- Neutral can be done by two trainees and a chimpanzee. Basically,
this is your gimme spare key if you're not Neutral.
- Lawful has some difficult areas, not all of which need to be done.
I've died here several times, including once in a one-shot to Nightmare
doing > 150 points of damage in its first set of attacks. Its horn is
good if you're Lawful.
- Chaotic is insanely dangerous! Seriously be ready to run if you
find this and aren't prepared for it. OTOH, this is always worth doing
eventually, just for the Hand.

Beyond that, please be spoiled about Demogorgon (the other demon lords
don't really rate), or you will die horribly.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
E.g. I found the Grayswandir in the Wyrm Caves but that could have just
been coincidence (and neglecting the HP counter I died before finishing
all dragons to see whether there's a (real?) prize.
Yep, just coincidence. They tend to have a lot of nice gems, but nothing
is guaranteed AFAIK.

Alex

*Not a guaranteed level.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-23 21:06:25 UTC
Thanks, Alex, very valuable information.
Post by wumpus
If I recall correctly, there's fairly detailed spoilage of the SLASH'EM
special levels available online.
I've just stumbled across the dungeon layout overview
http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/slashem/dungeon.html
(I probably need to search more thoroughly).
Post by wumpus
- Mine King (below Mine's End): Has a throne, and Ruggo has a guaranteed
wand (which makes him potentially quite dangerous).
I made that level by accident, stumbled into a trapdoor at mines "bottom".
Post by wumpus
- The Mall* is quite useful, when it appears, just for shops.
Yep. - I was astonished about prices for my Samurai; they are significantly
higher than in Vanilla NH. (Not sure whether the samurai role was the base
for that effect or the role's low charisma.)
Post by wumpus
- The Rats* are silly.
Yep.
Post by wumpus
- The Orcs (Grund's) are NOT silly. They are very, very dangerous.
I've died many times here. They're definitely worth doing, though,
for the potions of enlightenment, if nothing else. You may need to go
deeper and come back, though.
Ah, the Stronghold. I recall to have died there when I had played Slash'EM
ten years (or so) ago. This time I had skipped it; it looked like a lot of
work to tackle it.
Post by wumpus
- The Dragons (Wyrm Caves) are good for making DSM, and or gaining
intrinsics.
A source for my dragon armor was my hope. Alas, most dragons were not adult
and the few others left no scales. The remaining red dragon was my demise;
without HP-colors I should have taken more care.
Post by wumpus
- The Undead (Lost Tomb) usually have some decent loot. Watch out for
the lich and troll mummy.
I entered a level with such a greeting committee; wasn't aware that it's a
special level. I avoided the L, and continued.
Post by wumpus
- The Black Market is awesome! Yay for identifying lots o' stuff!
Killing Sam is NOT recommended, as is being killed by Sam.
I recall it from former times (no black market in my recent games); I think
I considered it quite useless because I was not able to buy anything there.
Post by wumpus
- The Nymphs* are silly.
I have some respect from their robbery (maybe in conjunction with a potion
of invisibility), but didn't encounter that level recently. (Wasn't there
some "super nymph" on that level?)
Post by wumpus
- The Spiders are mean-ish, but worth it for the guaranteed boots o'
speed and other loot.
Good to know.
Post by wumpus
- The Disgruntled Adventurers* can be dangerous, especially if you're
not drain resistant. OTOH, they are a source of infinite wands of death
and teleportation, making the endgame a snap.
- The Sunless Sea has a magic lamp.
- The Temple of Moloch is a good place to use those wands of death.
It has a guaranteed altar. I use it as a staging platform for the
late game.
Haven't seen all these levels (at least recently).
Post by wumpus
- The Giants are silly. There's a throne.
Haven't reached so far. - I only found a level with a giants throne room.
Post by wumpus
- Frankenstein is silly. There's a wand of polymorph.
[...]
I skipped these anyway "for security reasons" (= cowardice). :-}
Post by wumpus
Beyond that, please be spoiled about Demogorgon (the other demon lords
don't really rate), or you will die horribly.
Okay, though I think it will require quite some more time and effort until
I'll reach there. ;-)

Thanks again.

Janis
Pat Rankin
2018-08-24 00:01:54 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Beyond the aligned quests, are there any prizes in the various dungeon
branches (e.g. Wyrm Caves) in Slash'EM or are these just for variety?
[...]
- Lawful has some difficult areas, not all of which need to be done.
I've died here several times, including once in a one-shot to Nightmare
doing > 150 points of damage in its first set of attacks. Its horn is
good if you're Lawful.
There is a set of four or so rooms in the vicinity of the entrance
that get shuffled around (or their contents do--same difference).
One of them contains a pile of dragon corpses and a cancelled
tinning kit. They're guarded by a few werewolves. By the time you
fight through all the wolves, those corpses are probably unsafe
to eat (so a functional tinning kit would be useful) and may even
have rotted away entirely. But one time I was able to just walk into
the first room and eat a black dragon corpse to gain disintegration
resistance.

[It's been at least thirteen years since I played slash'em. I had
the most recent version at the time I downloaded it, but by the
time I actually unpacked and played it, it wasn't the most recent
any more. So my memories are somewhat fuzzy and even things
I remember clearly might have gotten changed.]
Pat Rankin
2018-08-24 01:45:23 UTC
On Thursday, August 23, 2018 at 5:01:57 PM UTC-7, I wrote:
[ slash'em's 'lawful quest' side branch ]
Post by Pat Rankin
There is a set of four or so rooms in the vicinity of the entrance
that get shuffled around (or their contents do--same difference).
One of them contains a pile of dragon corpses and a cancelled
tinning kit. They're guarded by a few werewolves. [...]
That was poorly worded. The set of rooms is guarded by a few
werewolves. The pile of corpses in one of those rooms doesn't
have any particular guardian, at least none that I can recall.
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-24 10:41:23 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
E.g. I found the Grayswandir in the Wyrm Caves but that could have just
been coincidence [...]
Yep, just coincidence. They tend to have a lot of nice gems, but nothing
is guaranteed AFAIK.
Random artifact weapons seem to be quite common in Slash'EM; in my current
game I found the Frostbrand very early, and in a weapon shop on dlvl:5 the
Sword of Justice; +12 damage sounds great.

2018-08-24 16:25:18 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
E.g. I found the Grayswandir in the Wyrm Caves but that could have just
been coincidence [...]
Yep, just coincidence.
Random artifact weapons seem to be quite common in Slash'EM; in my current
game I found the Frostbrand very early, and in a weapon shop on dlvl:5 the
Sword of Justice; +12 damage sounds great.
Still the same game; met an invisible stalker with the Deathsword
(+14 damage) on dlvl:10, and it almost killed me (nomen est omen!)
when picking up that thing.

2018-08-26 08:44:42 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
E.g. I found the Grayswandir in the Wyrm Caves but that could have just
been coincidence [...]
Yep, just coincidence.
Random artifact weapons seem to be quite common in Slash'EM; in my current
game I found the Frostbrand very early, and in a weapon shop on dlvl:5 the
Sword of Justice; +12 damage sounds great.
Still the same game; met an invisible stalker with the Deathsword
(+14 damage) on dlvl:10, and it almost killed me (nomen est omen!)
when picking up that thing.
A new game; Snickersnee on dlvl:1.

2018-08-25 15:00:32 UTC
Post by wumpus
- Lawful has some difficult areas, not all of which need to be done.
I've died here several times, including once in a one-shot to Nightmare
doing > 150 points of damage in its first set of attacks. Its horn is
good if you're Lawful.
Hmm.. - I am currently in the midst of that quest. Cleared half of the
level. Took the opportunity to get ESP from the MF/MMF (there had been
only very few floating eyes in the upper levels and none left a corpse).
I noticed that it's not guaranteed to get ESP, but the third one finally
provided it. I have abstained from meeting the eels and from waking the
arch-lich. And I've not yet entered the forest, since I suppose my stats
are not yet good enough to meet the Nightmare:
St:18/08 Dx:18 Co:18 In:13 Wi:10 Ch:7 Lawful
Dlvl:16 HP:111(111) Pw:45(45) AC:-17 Xp:11/31029

WRT the Nighthorn; I've read that it provides is reflection. Has it some
other properties or is it just that that makes it a good prize? - If not
then I'd not take the risk to meet the Nightmare.

One incident in the quest I didn't understand; my fire elemental attacked
that priest, but he immediately turned into some wimpy creature. Had that
priest casted or zapped polymorph; is that possible in SlashEM ? (Would be
nasty; thinking about what would have happened if I'd have attacked him!)

Janis
wumpus
2018-08-27 19:09:34 UTC
Howdy,
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
- Lawful has some difficult areas, not all of which need to be done.
I've died here several times, including once in a one-shot to Nightmare
doing > 150 points of damage in its first set of attacks. Its horn is
good if you're Lawful.
Hmm.. - I am currently in the midst of that quest. Cleared half of the
level. Took the opportunity to get ESP from the MF/MMF (there had been
only very few floating eyes in the upper levels and none left a corpse).
I noticed that it's not guaranteed to get ESP, but the third one finally
provided it. I have abstained from meeting the eels and from waking the
arch-lich.
I rarely bother with the arch-lich - he tends to be much more trouble than
he's worth, even if you've got cancellation to clean up the GDSM.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
And I've not yet entered the forest, since I suppose my stats
St:18/08 Dx:18 Co:18 In:13 Wi:10 Ch:7 Lawful
Dlvl:16 HP:111(111) Pw:45(45) AC:-17 Xp:11/31029
One can trivially deal with both Nightmare and the flayers if one is
willing to appeal to Elbereth. Otherwise, yeah, both can do very scary
things in melee combat.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
WRT the Nighthorn; I've read that it provides is reflection. Has it some
other properties or is it just that that makes it a good prize? - If not
then I'd not take the risk to meet the Nightmare.
It's just an artifact unihorn; reflection is a rarely used bonus. If I'm
playing lawful, I use it in my kit, but I don't cry over not having it if
I'm playing non-lawful.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
One incident in the quest I didn't understand; my fire elemental attacked
that priest, but he immediately turned into some wimpy creature. Had that
priest casted or zapped polymorph; is that possible in SlashEM ? (Would be
nasty; thinking about what would have happened if I'd have attacked him!)
That...sounds wacky. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that
before. Is it possibly that the fire elemental was a polymorphed creature
that reverted upon being killed by the priest? If it came from the Neutral
Quest, than there's a good chance it was a polymorphed gas spore.

Alex
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-27 20:30:00 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
One incident in the quest I didn't understand; my fire elemental attacked
that priest, but he immediately turned into some wimpy creature. Had that
priest casted or zapped polymorph; is that possible in SlashEM ? (Would be
nasty; thinking about what would have happened if I'd have attacked him!)
That...sounds wacky. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that
before. Is it possibly that the fire elemental was a polymorphed creature
that reverted upon being killed by the priest? If it came from the Neutral
Quest, than there's a good chance it was a polymorphed gas spore.
Sadly I am playing locally and have no ttyrec to be perfectly sure, but
I think it was one of my minions that had been granted to me during an
altar camping session. At that time I already had it for quite a while
together with other minions (unicorns and a group of mo*ic devas). In
the "nightmar.des" file I also see no polytraps or random traps defined.

Would a polymorphed minion (if not killed) be reverted after some period
of time?

Slashem is really amazing; every game has interesting early findings and
a different type of death: I've met a "displacer beast"[*] at mines-end
(result of a polytrap).

Janis

[*]
hp ac mr% mv× attacks
12d8 -10 0% 1× 4d4 4d4 2d10
wumpus
2018-08-28 18:46:42 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
[...]
A god that grants you unicorns and devas (Lawful) won't grant you elementals (Neutral). So without alignment shenanigans, I don't think the fire elemental was granted.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Would a polymorphed minion (if not killed) be reverted after some period
of time?
Yes. (Though I've occasionally had the system 'forget' about one of my pets somehow and have them never revert - this is either a bug, or I somehow hit one of the permanencing effects without realizing it.)
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Slashem is really amazing; every game has interesting early findings and
a different type of death: I've met a "displacer beast"[*] at mines-end
(result of a polytrap).
Yes, it's rarely a boring death in Slash'EM...

Alex
Janis Papanagnou
2018-08-28 22:21:28 UTC
Post by wumpus
Yes, it's rarely a boring death in Slash'EM...
Besides the entertaining new things other things have not changed (if
compared to vanilla); Sokoban had a bag of holding, an altar provided
the Wallet, and the first two mines levels each had a bag of holding
as well.

2018-09-14 20:15:27 UTC
[ dungeon branches in Slash'EM ]
I am playing Slash'EM seriously just for a short time but I've meanwhile
seen quite a lot of its dungeons for some notes from a pathological NH
player's view.

From a balance perspective I find it interesting to observe that the many
items and artifacts balance well with the difficulty of the monsters.
New behaviour like temporary polymorph (monsters and items) will require
a new strategy when and in which way to use that effect. Somesthing I had
been missing in Vanilla for a long time is the variety of dungeon branches;
I like them a lot - it often needs attention, to say the least.

What's a bit uncommon to me is that my monk wearing shields of dragon armor
(I got the GDSM from the aligned quest) reduced my AC, so I abstained from
wearing them. Currently I have MR just from the monk's quest artifact, and
I am not sure what to do later on when covetous monsters (and the Wizard)
will (or may) steal it from me. I have a cloak of MR in my bag and own the
Magicbane. Is there another option for MR? (Where I'd like to maintain my
standard conduct to not wish for artifacts.)

Meanwhile my monk reached dlvl:44 and has seen every dungeon branche until
the Castle and even finished most of them.
- Mine King (below Mine's End): [...]
- The Mall* is quite useful, when it appears, just for shops.
- The Rats* are silly.
- The Kobolds* are silly, but do have a throne.
- The Orcs (Grund's) are NOT silly. [...]
- The Dragons (Wyrm Caves) [...]
- The Undead (Lost Tomb) [...]
- The Black Market is awesome! [...]
I was surprised that I was able to even buy a lot of items; it was possible
because of the many gems I was able to sell to get the necessary (extreme
huge) amount you need.
- The Nymphs* are silly.
- The Spiders are mean-ish, [...]
- The Disgruntled Adventurers* can be dangerous, especially if you're
not drain resistant. OTOH, they are a source of infinite wands of death
and teleportation, making the endgame a snap.
This level was indeed extremely difficult; one or two player characters had
dug passages through the wall and quickly approached zapping me with drain
level from distance and from many directions. Since I had no means of drain
resistance I needed to wait until I finished Vecna - luckily I noticed that
his Hand provides the necessary resistance. (Don't recall to have got a wand
of death from that place; maybe one, if at all.)
- The Sunless Sea has a magic lamp.
With that lamp I now have four of them. (In that game I had just got one
wish, don't recall from which source.) I have a magic candle from a bones
heap, so I could use all these lamps for wishes. But I really have no idea
what to wish for, now. (And there's also coming the Castle wand soon.)
- The Temple of Moloch is a good place to use those wands of death.
It has a guaranteed altar. I use it as a staging platform for the
late game.
This is actually the only branch that I did not finish. Four hostile priests
and the prospect that the gods will strike me hard (or even deadly) for
killing the priests did not appear to me to be a good idea. (I also have not
that many wands of death, BTW, just three at the moment, from a set of 145
that all the hordes of monsters mostly in the special levels provided).

What do you mean by "staging platform"? (I have altars available already at
a couple other places.)
- The Giants are silly. There's a throne.
I was frightened there because it had two titans.

BTW, despite having eaten a lot of giants my strength is stuck at 18/58.
(I noticed that not every corpse will provide strength, but this feels
like there's also some limit with my current player configuration. But
it's probably just the nasty RNG.)
- Frankenstein is silly. There's a wand of polymorph.
(I'm not yet in Gehennom, so I haven't seen it yet.)
- Neutral can be done by two trainees and a chimpanzee. Basically,
this is your gimme spare key if you're not Neutral.
- Lawful has some difficult areas, not all of which need to be done.
I've died here several times, including once in a one-shot to Nightmare
doing > 150 points of damage in its first set of attacks. Its horn is
good if you're Lawful.
- Chaotic is insanely dangerous! Seriously be ready to run if you
find this and aren't prepared for it. OTOH, this is always worth doing
eventually, just for the Hand.
I've genocided all L and burnt Elbereth, so Vecna was not too dangerous.
Beyond that, please be spoiled about Demogorgon (the other demon lords
don't really rate), or you will die horribly.
Thanks for the warning! I've noticed that there's even a special spoiler
dedicated to him.

As Medusa I got one of the new variants, the one where you could instantly
die if you are not aware of the level layout (I was spoiled, so everything
was okay).

I really liked to see the new mazes between Medusa and Castle; iron bars
and water. (I'd like to see those incorporated in Vanilla.) Is there a
practical way to shortcut the iron bar version?

2018-09-16 15:30:16 UTC
Short update of my current game...
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Meanwhile my monk reached dlvl:44 and has seen every dungeon branche until
the Castle and even finished most of them.
Explored everything until the vibrating square level. Haven't visited
the upper two levels of the Wizard's Tower yet.

Demogorgon's level was below Orcus' and it was a bit difficult to
occupy the up-stairs, Demogorgon fled upstairs (only by the effects
of the conflicted monsters he summoned), so I paralysed him and was
able to kill him fast enough.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
With that lamp I now have four of them. [...] But I really have no idea
what to wish for, now. (And there's also coming the Castle wand soon.)
Still equipped with those four lamps and a wand of wishing (0:2),
and no idea what to use the wishes for.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
- Frankenstein is silly. There's a wand of polymorph.
(Frankenstein's Monster is tough with his many HPs, but no threat.)
Post by Janis Papanagnou
I really liked to see the new mazes between Medusa and Castle; iron bars
and water. (I'd like to see those incorporated in Vanilla.) Is there a
practical way to shortcut the iron bar version?
I suppose the home-run will be quite annoying without any means
to shortcut those iron bar mazes? (I probably have to spend some
cursed gain level potions, but I have only few of these potions.)

So what will be the final threats and challenges I have to expect?

How should I tackle the potential stolen "Eye of the Overworld" MR
issue?

What about meeting Solars (or similar monsters) I've heard from?

What precautions I have to care of, before I visit The Wizard?

Will Asmodeus get the Amulet for me from Moloch's Sanctum as in
Vanilla?

Wasn't there a spell of create pool - or did I confuse that with
some other variant? - that I should take care of happening?

(It seems that this monk at least might be able to ascend.)

Janis
wumpus
2018-09-19 18:44:18 UTC
Howdy,
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Meanwhile my monk reached dlvl:44 and has seen every dungeon branche until
the Castle and even finished most of them.
Explored everything until the vibrating square level. Haven't visited
the upper two levels of the Wizard's Tower yet.
Demogorgon's level was below Orcus' and it was a bit difficult to
occupy the up-stairs, Demogorgon fled upstairs (only by the effects
of the conflicted monsters he summoned), so I paralysed him and was
able to kill him fast enough.
Elbereth-paralysis is my go to technique for Demogorgon. To those who
think that's 'cheap' or 'cheating'...you don't play Slash'EM, do you?
Stand up fights with Demogorgon, even if you're disease resistant, are
really, really dangerous and hard, and getting by him without killing
him isn't really an option.
With that lamp I now have four of them. [...] But I really have no idea
what to wish for, now. (And there's also coming the Castle wand soon.)
Still equipped with those four lamps and a wand of wishing (0:2),
and no idea what to use the wishes for.
Assuming you're past any hope of getting artifacts (I often try to get my
MR this way), my favorite tends to be moar magic markers.
I really liked to see the new mazes between Medusa and Castle; iron bars
and water. (I'd like to see those incorporated in Vanilla.) Is there a
practical way to shortcut the iron bar version?
I've never tried to shortcut them. They are quite annoying.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
I suppose the home-run will be quite annoying without any means
to shortcut those iron bar mazes? (I probably have to spend some
cursed gain level potions, but I have only few of these potions.)
There's no 'mysterious force' in Slash'EM, so you only have to transit
it a few times. I don't consider them overly dangerous, just boring.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
So what will be the final threats and challenges I have to expect?
Vampire mages are mean. Assuming you've genocided L and mind-flayers,
they are your biggest obstacle. (Also bad, but much rarer, are ghoul
queens and the very rarely seen migo queen.) Black trolls hit hard,
giant shoggoths can actually kill you if you get complacent.

I also recommend wearing a ring of free action at all times, as dying to
shades or other paralyzing creatures sucks.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
How should I tackle the potential stolen "Eye of the Overworld" MR
issue?
I get things stolen from me so rarely (by the Wizard) that I don't
really even think about it anymore. I guess it's good to have a plan
just in case, though.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
What about meeting Solars (or similar monsters) I've heard from?
If you can't handle them (most players can't, but some can), then you
run/teleport them away. They're like fighting Archons, but much, much
bigger. (Eyes of the Overworld are very helpful here.)
Post by Janis Papanagnou
What precautions I have to care of, before I visit The Wizard?
I don't think this is a lot different than vanilla. Have bell and candle,
know where the square is, be ready to go straight to the Sanctum and then
straight back to the top.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Will Asmodeus get the Amulet for me from Moloch's Sanctum as in
Vanilla?
Since Asmodeus is generally dead by the time I get to the Sanctum, I do
not know the answer to that. I do know that one zap of death usually
does in the High Priest... The fight to the Sanctum can be challenging,
though. It's another place that drain resistance may be necessary.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Wasn't there a spell of create pool - or did I confuse that with
some other variant? - that I should take care of happening?
I think I've perhaps been killed by this more times than anyone else?
It has certainly been the bane of my existence at times. In response, I
generally wear an amulet of flying at basically all times. I don't think
other players consider this necessary, and prefer other amulets. (But then
I also tend to carry large amounts of loot with me on the final ascension
trek, and so play burdened and wear boots of speed, so water walking boots
aren't an alternative for me.)

As many have pointed out, the real problem isn't the pool spell - you can
just climb out if there's an open space. The problem is that I tend to
get it cast on me in giant melees resulting from vampire mages or demon
summon/casters, where I'm surrounded...and on a no teleport level. Under
those circumstances, it's just an instakill unless you can levitate/fly/
water walk/breathe under water/not breathe.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
(It seems that this monk at least might be able to ascend.)
Once I've gotten past the Quests, it's rare that I don't ascend, so yes.

Hope that helps,
Alex
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-19 21:53:59 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Still equipped with those four lamps and a wand of wishing (0:2),
and no idea what to use the wishes for.
Assuming you're past any hope of getting artifacts (I often try to get my
MR this way), my favorite tends to be moar magic markers.
I already have two markers with charges, but currently also no idea what
scrolls to write, given that I have so much scrolls already (charging,
remove curse, genocide, teleportation).
Post by wumpus
There's no 'mysterious force' in Slash'EM, so you only have to transit
it a few times. I don't consider them overly dangerous, just boring.
Ahh, that's good news. The Force with the iron bar mazes would be a pain.

(It just occurred to me that I have lots of scrolls of teleportation; I
hope they work in Slash'em at that stage as in Nethack, and that those
levels are not no-teleport levels.)
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
So what will be the final threats and challenges I have to expect?
Vampire mages are mean. Assuming you've genocided L and mind-flayers,
I don't recall exactly what monsters I've already genocided; certainly L,
maybe even all V (Vlad's upper tower level was filled with other monsters
IIRC). Not sure about h. All in all I've genocided 21 species; I'll have
to derive what classes sum up to this number to be sure.

I still have 3 blessed scrolls of genocide available. Any suggestions for
good Slash'em specific genocide targets?
Post by wumpus
they are your biggest obstacle. (Also bad, but much rarer, are ghoul
queens and the very rarely seen migo queen.)
I already met a couple of ghoul queens; they were nasty.
Post by wumpus
Black trolls hit hard,
Not sure; I think I've met one.
Post by wumpus
giant shoggoths can actually kill you if you get complacent.
I've met Lovecraft monsters, and I think it was such a giant shoggoth;
it certainly was no fun. First I didn't realize that he was tough. But
my buffed up monk is now HP:538(538) AC:-53 Exp:27 so he has some buffer.
Post by wumpus
I also recommend wearing a ring of free action at all times, as dying to
shades or other paralyzing creatures sucks.
Yep, I wear one.
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
How should I tackle the potential stolen "Eye of the Overworld" MR
issue?
I get things stolen from me so rarely (by the Wizard) that I don't
really even think about it anymore. I guess it's good to have a plan
just in case, though.
In vanilla NH it happened a couple times, so I am anxious. My plan would
be to switch to Magicbane if necessary (presuming I get a turn in between
a steal and a death spell attack). (I have also a cloak of MR in my bag
and yet unused gray dragon scales).
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
What about meeting Solars (or similar monsters) I've heard from?
If you can't handle them (most players can't, but some can), then you
run/teleport them away. They're like fighting Archons, but much, much
bigger. (Eyes of the Overworld are very helpful here.)
Ouch, okay. - The Eyes help to not get stunned or blinded by Solars?
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Will Asmodeus get the Amulet for me from Moloch's Sanctum as in
Vanilla?
Since Asmodeus is generally dead by the time I get to the Sanctum, I do
not know the answer to that. I do know that one zap of death usually
does in the High Priest... The fight to the Sanctum can be challenging,
though. It's another place that drain resistance may be necessary.
I want to avoid taking the path through that level. I'll try out Asmodeus'
cooperation; there's probably a good chance that he still behaves like in
the NH-343 version.
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Wasn't there a spell of create pool - or did I confuse that with
some other variant? - that I should take care of happening?
I think I've perhaps been killed by this more times than anyone else?
It has certainly been the bane of my existence at times. In response, I
generally wear an amulet of flying at basically all times. I don't think
other players consider this necessary, and prefer other amulets.
I have that amulet in my bag, and I am currently wearing reflection. Maybe
I should have taken the artifact silver shield with me instead of stashing
it at level 1, so that I could wear flying. (Optionally I could also wield
the Nighthorn, though.)

Meanwhile I am two squares away from the Wizard, separated only by a wall,
so it's a bit late to rearrange equipment.
Post by wumpus
(But then
I also tend to carry large amounts of loot with me on the final ascension
trek, and so play burdened and wear boots of speed, so water walking boots
aren't an alternative for me.)
Same here.
Post by wumpus
Hope that helps,
Great help, thanks! :-)

Janis
Pat Rankin
2018-09-19 23:13:13 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
What about meeting Solars (or similar monsters) I've heard from?
If you can't handle them (most players can't, but some can), then you
run/teleport them away. They're like fighting Archons, but much, much
bigger. (Eyes of the Overworld are very helpful here.)
Ouch, okay. - The Eyes help to not get stunned or blinded by Solars?
The Eyes override blindness and they also block this particular method
(gaze attack which inflicts blindness damage)--and I think only this
particular method--of being stunned.

About iron bar mazes:
In nethack 3.6.x, yellow dragon breath melts iron bars. But 3.4.3
didn't have that, so slash'em probably doesn't either. Other forms of
acid (potions, venom spat by nagas, blob attacks or counterattacks)
either don't hit bars or don't harm them.
wumpus
2018-09-20 18:54:48 UTC
Howdy,
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Still equipped with those four lamps and a wand of wishing (0:2),
and no idea what to use the wishes for.
Assuming you're past any hope of getting artifacts (I often try to get my
MR this way), my favorite tends to be moar magic markers.
I already have two markers with charges, but currently also no idea what
scrolls to write, given that I have so much scrolls already (charging,
remove curse, genocide, teleportation).
I'm usually writing a fair number of enchant scrolls and/or using dregs
for cursed destroy armor for erodeproofing. Cursed teleport is also
useful for levelporting (outside Gehennom before the amulet is obtained),
but I usually don't have to write those. I use cursed confuse monster +
uncursed gold detection to find the portals in the endgame, so I may use
dregs for those as well.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
There's no 'mysterious force' in Slash'EM, so you only have to transit
it a few times. I don't consider them overly dangerous, just boring.
Ahh, that's good news. The Force with the iron bar mazes would be a pain.
(It just occurred to me that I have lots of scrolls of teleportation; I
hope they work in Slash'em at that stage as in Nethack, and that those
levels are not no-teleport levels.)
I'm not sure how they compare to vanilla, but they are useless after you
have the amulet.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
So what will be the final threats and challenges I have to expect?
Vampire mages are mean. Assuming you've genocided L and mind-flayers,
I don't recall exactly what monsters I've already genocided; certainly L,
maybe even all V (Vlad's upper tower level was filled with other monsters
IIRC). Not sure about h. All in all I've genocided 21 species; I'll have
to derive what classes sum up to this number to be sure.
I still have 3 blessed scrolls of genocide available. Any suggestions for
good Slash'em specific genocide targets?
I usually just do in L and (master) mind flayer. Sometimes I get tired of
disenchanters or troll mummies, maybe black dragons if I'm doing a conduct
that prevents me from eating them. I tend to keep it minimal so that I
don't end up with really weird summon nasties groupings in the endgame.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
they are your biggest obstacle. (Also bad, but much rarer, are ghoul
queens and the very rarely seen migo queen.)
I already met a couple of ghoul queens; they were nasty.
Post by wumpus
Black trolls hit hard,
Not sure; I think I've met one.
Post by wumpus
giant shoggoths can actually kill you if you get complacent.
I've met Lovecraft monsters, and I think it was such a giant shoggoth;
it certainly was no fun. First I didn't realize that he was tough. But
my buffed up monk is now HP:538(538) AC:-53 Exp:27 so he has some buffer.
Oh, and crystal golems can be challenging as well. (Diamond, ruby, and
sapphire aren't usually as mean.)
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
What about meeting Solars (or similar monsters) I've heard from?
If you can't handle them (most players can't, but some can), then you
run/teleport them away. They're like fighting Archons, but much, much
bigger. (Eyes of the Overworld are very helpful here.)
Ouch, okay. - The Eyes help to not get stunned or blinded by Solars?
Yes, the Eyes mean you don't get surrounded by fire elementals while
blinded.
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
(But then
I also tend to carry large amounts of loot with me on the final ascension
trek, and so play burdened and wear boots of speed, so water walking boots
aren't an alternative for me.)
Same here.
Post by wumpus
Hope that helps,
Great help, thanks! :-)
My pleasure. Since dirkz's awesome Slash'EM port won't work on iOS 11, I
haven't played in months, so I'm enjoying your game vicariously.

Thanks,
Alex
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-21 04:17:29 UTC
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
I already have two markers with charges, but currently also no idea what
scrolls to write, given that I have so much scrolls already (charging,
remove curse, genocide, teleportation).
I'm usually writing a fair number of enchant scrolls and/or using dregs
for cursed destroy armor for erodeproofing. Cursed teleport is also
useful for levelporting (outside Gehennom before the amulet is obtained),
but I usually don't have to write those. I use cursed confuse monster +
uncursed gold detection to find the portals in the endgame, so I may use
dregs for those as well.
I have still a lot of scrolls of enchant weapon in my bag, but the only
enchanted weapon is that artifact silver short sword (which is much less
effective than plain martial arts at Expert; currently ~32..37 damage per
ordinary, non-technique hit). I also have a few enchant armor but my armor
is already at +4/+5. I think I have stashed 4 scrolls of gold detection on
dlvl:1 for the portals. Most (all?) armor is also fire/rust-proof. (Not
sure whether I should fireproof my water walking boots for the Planes.)
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
(It just occurred to me that I have lots of scrolls of teleportation; I
hope they work in Slash'em at that stage as in Nethack, and that those
levels are not no-teleport levels.)
I'm not sure how they compare to vanilla, but they are useless after you
have the amulet.
In vanilla non-cursed scrolls would make it possible to teleport within the
current level. Only teleports to another level is blocked after you've got
the amulet. (I have collected 35+ teleport scrolls for a fast home-run, so
they're now just ballast, IIUC.)
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
I still have 3 blessed scrolls of genocide available. Any suggestions for
good Slash'em specific genocide targets?
I usually just do in L and (master) mind flayer. Sometimes I get tired of
disenchanters or troll mummies, maybe black dragons if I'm doing a conduct
that prevents me from eating them. I tend to keep it minimal so that I
don't end up with really weird summon nasties groupings in the endgame.
Good point. Given als those nasties in Slash'em it's probably a bigger issue
if compared to vanilla. I am now also a bit sceptical about my high level;
chances to get high level summoners is now more likely.
Post by wumpus
Oh, and crystal golems can be challenging as well. (Diamond, ruby, and
sapphire aren't usually as mean.)
Oh, okay. I have met at least diamond and a couple sapphire (already tough),
don't recall to have seen crystal yet.
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Ouch, okay. - The Eyes help to not get stunned or blinded by Solars?
Yes, the Eyes mean you don't get surrounded by fire elementals while
blinded.
Reading this I get the feeling that there might be something special here
to expect that I don't yet know from vanilla. (Summoned elementals? Fire
attacks where fire resistance won't help? - I'll see...)
Post by wumpus
My pleasure. Since dirkz's awesome Slash'EM port won't work on iOS 11, I
haven't played in months, so I'm enjoying your game vicariously.
Thanks. I'm sorry that I can give just little information through my posts.
I certainly enjoy this game a lot.

It's really thrilling with all those new level types, monsters and objects.
And I am currently as anxious as I was back in vanilla 3.0.9 when my knight
was ready to ascend but didn't, because I never finished that game since a
new version came out.

(Will continue my current game during the weekend I think. Hope it will be
successful.)

Janis
wumpus
2018-09-21 18:21:50 UTC
Howdy,
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Post by wumpus
Post by Janis Papanagnou
Ouch, okay. - The Eyes help to not get stunned or blinded by Solars?
Yes, the Eyes mean you don't get surrounded by fire elementals while
blinded.
Reading this I get the feeling that there might be something special here
to expect that I don't yet know from vanilla. (Summoned elementals? Fire
attacks where fire resistance won't help? - I'll see...)
It is a Very Bad Thing to have to operate blinded on the Plane of Fire
while confronting a Planetar/Solar. You can't telepathically 'see' the
numerous fire elementals, so you can get boxed in with elementals blocking
your escape on 7 sides and a Planetar wailing on you in the 8th. And if
you don't even know which is the Planetar, you've only got a 1/8 chance
to teleport away the right thing; you're not going to get 8 tries...or
even 4, probably.

You've got this,
Alex
Janis Papanagnou
2018-09-22 06:38:23 UTC
Post by wumpus
It is a Very Bad Thing to have to operate blinded on the Plane of Fire
while confronting a Planetar/Solar. You can't telepathically 'see' the
numerous fire elementals, so you can get boxed in with elementals blocking
your escape on 7 sides and a Planetar wailing on you in the 8th. And if
you don't even know which is the Planetar, you've only got a 1/8 chance
to teleport away the right thing; you're not going to get 8 tries...or
even 4, probably.
Aha, okay. I had assumed that at least the Planetar as angelic being would
be ESP-detectable. But with the Eyes (unless they incidentally get stolen)
I will be fine.

2018-09-22 12:58:22 UTC
(Will continue my current game during the weekend I think. Hope it will be
successful.)
My 24th Slash'em game, and I've done it - my first Slash'em ascension. Yay!

First a few details from the endgame log (a longer list with more details
can be found at http://nh.gridbug.de/2018-09-22_1st_slashem_ascension.txt),
and then below the log-information a couple general impressions and remarks.

I had to visit all three altars (met Famine, Pestilence, Death in that order)
to find the altar of my god.

Jap the Student of Winds St:18/82 Dx:23 Co:18 In:23 Wi:23 Ch:18 Neutral
Astral Plane HP:517(517) Pw:19(117) AC:-42 Exp:22 Wt:1458/1000 T:94144 Brd

Amulets
y - a blessed amulet of reflection (being worn) {20}
Y - the cursed Amulet of Yendor named REAL {20}
Weapons
E - the blessed rustproof +3 Magicbane (weapon in hand) {10}
Armor
A - a blessed +4 robe of protection (being worn) {40}
B - the blessed fireproof +4 Whisperfeet (being worn) {20}
C - the blessed fireproof +5 Deluder (being worn) {10}
G - the blessed fireproof +5 Gauntlets of Defense (being worn) {10}
H - a blessed rustproof +5 helm of brilliance (being worn) {50}
T - a blessed +4 Hawaiian shirt (being worn) {5}
[...]
Tools
b - the blessed fireproof Wallet of Perseus {1018}
f - an uncursed towel {2}
k - an uncursed corroded lock pick {4}
l - a cursed magic candle {2}
s - a blessed stethoscope {4}
u - a blessed +7 unicorn horn {20}
w - an uncursed magic whistle {3}
O - the blessed Eyes of the Overworld (being worn) {3}
U - the uncursed Candelabrum of Invocation (7 candles attached) {10}
V - the Bell of Opening (0:2) {10}
Gems
d - 2 blessed healthstones
e - a blessed luckstone named F!54,A57,VS60

Final Attributes:

You were piously aligned.
You were fire resistant. You were cold resistant. You were sleep resistant.
You were disintegration-resistant. You were shock resistant.
You were poison resistant. You were magic-protected.
You saw invisible. You were telepathic. You were warned.
You had automatic searching.
You were invisible to others. You were displaced. You were stealthy.
You had teleport control. You were protected. You were very fast.
You had reflection. You had free action. You were extremely lucky.
You had extra luck. Good luck did not time out for you.
You had extra health. You survived.

5055 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species: h, L, V, ; (28 species genocided.)

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 28 types of monsters.
You never changed form.
You used 1 wish.
You did not wish for any artifacts.
You remained celibate.

Artifacts:

You and [...] went to your reward with 5981962 points,
Wallet of Perseus (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
Mirrorbright (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
Snickersnee (worth 1200 zorkmids and 3000 points)
Disrupter (worth 500 zorkmids and 1250 points)
Demonbane (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
Cleaver (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
The Key of Neutrality (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
The Key of Law (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
The Key of Chaos (worth 1000 zorkmids and 2500 points)
Nighthorn (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)
Sword of Balance (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Hand of Vecna (worth 700 zorkmids and 1750 points)
The Eye of the Beholder (worth 500 zorkmids and 1250 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
Whisperfeet (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
Deluder (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
Magicbane (worth 3500 zorkmids and 8750 points)
Gauntlets of Defense (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Eyes of the Overworld (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Book of the Dead (worth 10000 zorkmids and 25000 points)

No Points Name Hp [max]
1 5981962 jap-Mon-Hum-Mal-Neu (Form-Art) ascended to demigod-hood.
517 [517]

A couple of impressions, remarks, and questions...

What does "(Form-Art)" in the highscore list mean?

The longer main dungeon and shorter Gehennom is a good design decision.
The demon lairs in Gehennom are nice. (Not all lairs have been created.)
New dungeon types are very nice, and all the branches as well.
The removal of the Misterious Force in favour of a longer dungeon (mine was
60 levels deep) and the occasionally occurring non-passable iron-bar mazes
makes the home-run much less boring and is certainly also a good decision.
Scrolls of teleport don't work during the home-run (as Alex warned me), but
cursed potions of gain level do. So I used them not only for the typical
levels but also to shortcut one of the iron bar mazes.
The Astral Plane is much more populated by tougher summoned insects than in
vanilla NH, which make jumping become much more difficult, and the level
also a bit more interesting. Thought about genociding insects, but decided
that taming them might be much better.
So I used wands of teleport and death, and an occasional jump. I didn't use
conflict at Astral, and avoided zapping a wand of death if my pets were in
the way, so I had to be a bit more careful with the riders; maneuvring
around them was part of the tactics. Taming required much of my spell power,
so I could not use a ranged attack spell. At one point I read confused a
scroll of taming for a more effective shield of pets.
There's generally much more monsters to kill than in Nethack.
A big drawback is that there's no colored status line! (Before this game I
sacrificed a couple good characters due to inattentiveness, mainly because
the health state was not as prominent as on NAO or newer NH versions.)
As usual I let the RNG select my character; I had difficulties with the
vampire race (nutrition!), but I already remembered that from former posts
here. (I'll abstain from playing those in future until I have some idea how
to play them.)
Getting strength from giants was extremely difficult; at times I ate many
many corpses without any gain. (Chances are 25%, if I understand correctly.)
Do artifact keys break? (I carried even rusty stuff with me to not take a
chance losing an artifact key, but probably I would have not needed ordinary
keys at all after obtaining an artifact key.)
Despite having a high level I haven't met any Planetar or Solar. Monsters
were usually tougher than in Nethack but still at a reasonable level.
Generally I think that with a good knowledge from vanilla Nethack Slash'em
is not too difficult. The many items and artifacts in Slash'em compensate
the difficult challenges a bit, but one has still to be very attentive.
As monk I had some intrinsic AC, that even seemed to have increased while
progressing (no idea where that stems from). Dragon scales and shield will
reduce that intrinsic AC, so I abstained from wearing that gear. Weapons
were (mostly) also unnecessary, martial arts seem to be more effective than
in vanilla (but I can't really judge, since in NH my monks usually try to
get a good melee artifact weapon and body armor as soon as it works with
high enough luck.). I also didn't use monk's techniques; I suppose they can
be much more effective when using those proficiencies.
As used from NH I went mostly burdened once the game advanced sufficiently
(i.e. about midgame). At Astral I occasionally dropped by bag to have some
more freedom.
Elbereth engravings seems much more crucial in Slash'em than in Nethack, and
for some situations (meeting demons like Demogorgon, but also in other tight
situations that you specifically encounter in Slash'em) you really shouldn't
abstain from using it.
As in Nethack, many sources of (options for) wishes remained untouched (wand,
lamps, potions).

So far my few random remarks from my freshly acquired Slash'em impressions.
Thanks for reading. :-)

2018-09-22 17:07:27 UTC
No Points Name Hp [max]
1 5981962 jap-Mon-Hum-Mal-Neu (Form-Art) ascended to demigod-hood.
What does "(Form-Art)" in the highscore list mean?
Just found something in the source code; it's the conduct encoded:

"Food", "Vgn", "Vgt", "Ath", "Weap", "Pac",
"Ill", "Poly", "Form", "Wish", "Art", "Geno"

So it obviously just means
Form: never changed form
Art: did not wish for any artifacts